Tipping

WallaDude
This topic is 1933 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I know this has been discussed, but I'm curious as to what you gents actually do.

I recently received a reply from a forum user that was kind enough to share his experience with a masseur. The message ended with "He will offer to tug. But please tip him generously." I usually do tip, but I also thought that @ $160 rate, HE is to be expected.

Do you tip more for what's been given based on what's been given, or have you made your decision to tip/not before you've even set your foot through the door?

Personally, I HATE counting money in front of a provider, but that's just me.

Thoughts?

My view (that has been countered previously) is that the decision to-tip or not-to-tip and how-much-to-tip is dependent on the quality of the experience including the chemistry between the parties. I am very selective and as a rule always tip and when I find an exceptional masseur, I become a regular (and continue to tip). In guess, gauging from this thread, I am VERY generous, but then again when I checkout of hotel, I usually leave a tip for the housekeeper even if I've never seen them.

I tip only in spas. If a masseur comes to my apt, or I go to his, the rate is usually high enough.

Spas are another story. The masseur is not working for himself, and usually receives 1/3 of what I pay to the house. For a $60 massage, I usually tip $60, and I don't consider that at all extravagant.

I consider it average, but adequate.