In Boston for the first time next Friday 2/15... What not to miss...?

easygoingpal
This topic is 1927 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Gentlemen... I not often post here, but I am going to visit Boston for the first time. The tricky part is that I only have one day to myself to play tourist. What in your opinion (for those that are from Boston or have visited Boston) I should try no to miss...? Answers can range from historical sites, museums, landscapes, gay bars, etc. Thanks in advance for your kind advice... EGP.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks @BnaC. I am keeping my eye on the Boston weather as I am getting close to the trip. I am going to look for one of those books on the Freedom Trail that I can listen on my phone while walking the trail, weather permitting. I will definitely look into visiting the Museum of Fine Arts. I think I will just concentrate in the downtown area and use Uber to get around. I will be staying downtown and I see that there is a Legal Seafood restaurant nearby, so I am looking forward to a tasty clam chowder. On Saturday morning, I will see about checking out the Friendly Toast... Cheers!

I love to eat, so...

If you must do Legal Seafood, go to the Harborside flagship location. Touristy, but the best of the chain.

Best lobtsah roll? Pauli's North End or Yankee Lobster.

Boston Chowda Co makes a killer chowder.

@Benjamin_Nicholas , Thank you for the refined recommendation. I will look up the Harborside flagship on the map app.

I may have to do lunch at Legal Seefood and dinner at Boston Chowda... I love to eat too and will break diet on special occasions.

Cheers!

Hi @easygoingpal,

You might consider the Gardner Museum (Isabella Stewart Gardner) if you're going to the MFA. It's a completely different experience, and only a short walk away. Formerly her home, modeled after a venetian palazzo - fantastic space and magical on a cold winter day. Her will dictated that everything remain as she placed it so it has a bit of a personal feeling to it. Everything from asian antiquities to furniture and an extensive collection of ephemera. And of course, do some pre-reading about "the heist" - it adds to the intrigue.

Enjoy!

Hi @easygoingpal,

You might consider the Gardner Museum (Isabella Stewart Gardner) if you're going to the MFA. It's a completely different experience, and only a short walk away. Formerly her home, modeled after a venetian palazzo - fantastic space and magical on a cold winter day. Her will dictated that everything remain as she placed it so it has a bit of a personal feeling to it. Everything from asian antiquities to furniture and an extensive collection of ephemera. And of course, do some pre-reading about "the heist" - it adds to the intrigue.

Enjoy!

Hey @Seaninsf, I just watched a YouTube video on the Gardner Museum heist and I guess now it's approaching 29 years (March 18th, 1990) since the event... Looks like a very interesting place from what I've been reading at their website. Thanks for pointing this to me, I will see about fitting a visit... Cheers!

Gentlemen... I not often post here, but I am going to visit Boston for the first time. The tricky part is that I only have one day to myself to play tourist. What in your opinion (for those that are from Boston or have visited Boston) I should try no to miss...? Answers can range from historical sites, museums, landscapes, gay bars, etc. Thanks in advance for your kind advice... EGP.

http://unionoysterhouse.com/

http://unionoysterhouse.com/

Lobster/Chowder/Oysters/Clams ---- mmmmmmmmmmmm

If you want to see The Institution, a walk around MIT is fun. To think of all the progress that has been made in one stodgy, century- old building … the Chapel is amazing.

Thanks @gallahadesquire , I have a friend who went to MIT, so a stroll through the campus sounds like a great idea. I'll see how much I can accomplish in one day and a half... Cheers!

Prior to your trip and if you have the time-- do a google check of "Must Sees and Do's" in Boston. Check out www.viator.com and www.TripAdvisor.com for some ideas as well.

Do the preceding in addition to the wonderful suggestions/recommendations given by the guys here.

@Axiom2001 , thanks for the advice and will check Viator and Trip Advisor. Cheers!

As a local I would have recommended what Seaninsf already suggested. The Gardner collection is eclectic and it's a good take when the weather makes other venues less attractive. It is practically impossible to get bad Italian Meal in Boston's North End. Unless of course you refer to the neighborhood as "Little Italy." That's in NYC and you will be punished!

As a local I would have recommended what Seaninsf already suggested. The Gardner collection is eclectic and it's a good take when the weather makes other venues less attractive. It is practically impossible to get bad Italian Meal in Boston's North End. Unless of course you refer to the neighborhood as "Little Italy." That's in NYC and you will be punished!

@Snbrd , thanks for your kind comments... In Boston now and enjoying my stay...! ?

I love to eat, so...

If you must do Legal Seafood, go to the Harborside flagship location. Touristy, but the best of the chain.

Best lobtsah roll? Pauli's North End or Yankee Lobster.

Boston Chowda Co makes a killer chowder.

Made it to Legal Sea Food Harborside... Excellent food and view... Cheers!

Hi @easygoingpal,

Enjoy!

@Seaninsf , hey Sean I made it to the Gardner museum and is magical...

#1 recommendation: Dirk Caber

Dinner at No 9 Park, Menton, Oceana.

Preferably all 4 of above

Thanks much... I appreciate the recommendations... But, those restaurants will have to wait until a future visit. Back in California as of late last night. Now, to the gym to burn the 8 extra pounds I added from all that delicious Bostonian food... Hahahaha... :D