Ever Gone Skydiving?

Avalon
This topic is 1962 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Just once, in college. It was a static line jump where you jump out alone. You don't actually pull the ripcord, but it's attached to the plane, and is supposed to pull your chute out for you.

Before anything, we had jump school. First, falling. Keep your knees bent, and roll. Did a series of several practice falls beginning on the ground, then from three progressively higher platforms. Ah, to be young and limber. Then, practice how to arch your back, hold our arms out (so you don't tumble in the air) and look up to see if the parachute opened all the way, and if not, how disconnect the parachute and open the emergency chute.

When it came time to actually do it, I didn't expect some things. The plane was a little prop plane with only one seat for the pilot. There were only two of us jumping that day, so four of us in the plane. When it was my turn, had to crawl to the outside out of the plane. One foot on a small step attached to the plane below the opening onto the plane (no door) while your other foot stuck out in the air, and use your hands to hang on to a thin support beam that went in front of the opening from the lower part of the plane body to the wing, then look at instructor to tell you when to jump.

Once I jumped, arched my back, arms extended, and looked up. We were told to the chute would not open immediately so as not to get tangled up in he plane (I vaguely recall were were told to count). What I didn't expect, is instead of expecting the plane to just continue onward, it shrank do my falling so fast. Such a weird sight, I just stared. Then, the there was the tug on my shoulders, and the chute opened all the way. Whew. Then it was so quiet, and you could pull a cord on each side to turn and look all around while you were just floating in the air with no sense of movement other than changing views. A wonderful sensation.

Then the landing. I probably had my knees bent too early, but glad I did, as just before landing, the ground seemed to rush up at me, and next thing I know I was rolling on the ground, and the the chute fell a ways away. When I landed, I heard noise similar to knuckles cracking, and got scared I broke some bones. No pain, but I stared to move things very slowly, beginning with my toes, then ankles, legs, fingers, arms, and then rolled my body, and all worked. Got up, and as I was gathering up the chute, their driver was there to take me back to the grass airport.

Glad I did it, but never had a desire to do it again.

Never tried it, but for indoor:

https://www.iflyworld.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=ifly&utm_campaign=Branded - National&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI14ej34KN4AIVCqhpCh1cbA4NEAAYASAAEgJPUfD_BwE

I've done actual skydiving as a 25-year present for myself. It was enjoyable, memorable, I didn't soil my pants on either end, but I'm definitely not going to do it again, even if it were free.

I found out about indoor skydiving from an episode of the Anthony Bourdain-produced "The Getaway" show back in 2013. There's an indoor skydiving chain just outside of NYC and Philadelphia that I have been to. Equally as fun as the real thing I would say.