Golden Globes 2019

Smurof
This topic is 1949 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I enjoyed them tonight. Primary message was equality for women in the tv and movie work force as a whole, which is psychotic to be a problem this far in time, sadly.

Carol Burnett's lifetime achievement was great. I only saw 1 movie, the Queen band one, and it won best actor and best picture, so that was cool.

Green Book won many awards, but it only played in my town for 1 week, so maybe it will make a return.

I'll have to go see Bohemian Rhapsody. It got mixed reviews - people seemed to either love it or hate it. So I passed. My bad.

I did go see A Star Is Born and was underwhelmed. I thought it was overrated, although I did think Lady Gaga was the best part - both her singing and acting. It was apparently a big surprise she didn't win. I guess the Golden Globers were underwhelmed by the whole thing, too.

I also saw Vice, and as always Christian Bale did an awesome job transforming himself.

The other thing that seemed odd and was discussed online is that A Star Is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody were nominated as Best Drama and Vice as Best Musical or Comedy. Huh? I suppose you could view Vice as a dark comedy. But if A Star Is Born or Bohemian Rhapsody are not musicals, what is a musical?

And ... was anybody else not able to watch it on NBC? I was watching it on the local affiliate in Palm Springs and at 7:30 PM Pacific Time (I believe two and a half hours in, local time) the local affiliate cut out to some plastic surgery show. I wasn't able to actually watch the big final awards live.

Edited by stevenkesslar

I'll have to go see Bohemian Rhapsody. It got mixed reviews - people seemed to either love it or hate it. So I passed. My bad.

I did go see A Star Is Born and was underwhelmed. I thought it was overrated, although I did think Lady Gaga was the bets part - both her singing and acting. It was apparently a big surprise she didn't win. I guess the Golden Globers were underwhelmed by the whole thing, too.

I also saw Vice, and as always Christian Bale did an awesome job transforming himself.

The other thing that seemed odd and was discussed online is that A Star Is Born and Bohemian Rhapsody were nominated as Best Drama and Vice as Best Musical or Comedy. Huh? I suppose you could view Vice as a dark comedy. But if A Star Is Born or Bohemian Rhapsody are not musicals, what is a musical?

And ... was anybody else not able to watch it on NBC? I was watching it on the local affiliate in Palm Springs and at 7:30 PM Pacific Time (I believe two and a half hours in, local time) the local affiliate cut out to some plastic surgery show. I wasn't able to actually watch the big final awards live.

My LA station played it live and is repeating it now.

I had the same thought, why Star is Born was in the drama category, while a couple of dramas were in the comedy/musical category.

Best part for me was when Christian Bale got bleeped.

I was also surprised that Bohemian Rhapsody and Green Book won because of the mixed reviews. I like Rami Malek quite a bit so perhaps he pulled the movie up.

I only caught the last hour of the re-airing, & was glad to see Glenn Close win over Lady Gaga & the others. Great humble/honest speech too. Hope she also wins @ the Oscars next month. ?

This was an extremely weak year for movies, nothing really excited me from the ones I got to see. The ones I didn't get to see look pretty meh, so I'm not even going to bother with them. Bohemian Rhapsody is as overrated as the band was... It winning best pic, & for drama, was a joke. Gaga's movie looks even worse -_-

As far as not seeing the whole show, the initial broadcast went nearly 30 minutes long. I was surprised to see that it was televised live, although some athletic contest prevented any red carpet show to air and was relegated to the Internet. You must have seen the re-run which aired immediately after the initial show.

Lots of bleeped profanity, although lip reading made it clear what was being said. The only category situation I found to be questionable was the Roma film from Mexico being mixed in with mainstream movies, in addition to the foreign film category. That's the same as the Grammy's putting a best new artist nominee in with artist of the year. Anyone can turn heads when new, but should earn those stripes first before being lumped in with the heavyweights. - Yes I'm talking to you Christopher Cross....

Started at 5PM, live. The LA station didn't preempt any of it. We also got a red carpet show on E!

I only caught the last hour of the re-airing, & was glad to see Glenn Close win over Lady Gaga & the others. Great humble/honest speech too. Hope she also wins @ the Oscars next month. ?

This was an extremely weak year for movies, nothing really excited me from the ones I got to see. The ones I didn't get to see look pretty meh, so I'm not even going to bother with them. Bohemian Rhapsody is as overrated as the band was... It winning best pic, & for drama, was a joke. Gaga's movie looks even worse -_-

I agree about the movie choices. Not much to root for. The reviews for the two winning films were not entirely friendly. I still need to see Roma and If Beale Street Could Talk.

Edited by E.T.Bass

A Star Is Born is notches above Bohemian Rhapsody technically and in general. Aside from the LiveAid concert, Bohemian Rhapsody is a network TV movie. HBO's Liberace and Versace TV movies were more daring and challenging.

I enjoyed The Green Book more than I expected . I can see why it won Supporting Actor, Screenplay, and Best Picture Comedy. It's funny and moving with terrific performances. I think the backlash is coming from the PC police.

Edited by tchm

"Green Book" is a wonderful movie and deserved to win, but don't understand why it was in the Comedy/Musical category. Mahershala Ali also deserved his win, even though his was a Lead Performance and not Supporting.

My favorite female lead performance of 2018 was Melissa McCarthy in "Can You Ever Forgive Me?", but if she had to lose, Glenn Close in "The Wife" gave a masterful performance.

Lots of bleeped profanity, although lip reading made it clear what was being said. The only category situation I found to be questionable was the Roma film from Mexico being mixed in with mainstream movies, in addition to the foreign film category. That's the same as the Grammy's putting a best new artist nominee in with artist of the year. Anyone can turn heads when new, but should earn those stripes first before being lumped in with the heavyweights. - Yes I'm talking to you Christopher Cross....
Not really a good analogy to compare Roma with a "new" artist at the Grammys or to suggest its a lightweight film. Director Alfonso Cuaron has made many films, including some Hollywood product. Why should foreign films be ghettoized into one category and excluded from all others? They are usually the best films of the year, especially this year when the "big" Hollywood films were remarkably small.

A Star Is Born is notches above Bohemian Rhapsody technically and in general. Aside from the LiveAid concert, Bohemian Rhapsody is a network TV movie. HBO's Liberace and Versace TV movies were more daring and challenging.

I enjoyed The Green Book more than I expected . I can see why it won Supporting Actor, Screenplay, and Best Picture Comedy. It's funny and moving with terrific performances. I think the backlash is coming from the PC police.

Distorting history and the source material to serve a white savior narrative is something worth discussing rather than dismissing criticism as "the PC police."

That doesn't mean you can't enjoy the movie. The best analogy I can think of is Bohemian Rhapsody, which distorts and downplays Freddie Mercury's sexuality to serve a narrative driven and approved by his surviving bandmates. Surely you wouldn't dump on people who criticize the movie for that as the PC police even if you don't share their opinion. The same principles apply here.

But, this is the fourth version of the same basic story, if you count the Janet Gaynor film. Sure significant changes were made in the three musical versions, but still!!

Thought the show itself was dull. Hosts were bad.... didnt think I could dislike Oh, (liked her acceptance speech) but did.. didnt find them funny, found Samberg annoying. All award shows can run over, but this one ran way long compared to others in recent years - whole thing seemed disorganized. Even the venue...overcrowded, tables so crammed-in winners couldnt wend their way to the stage, etc.

I'm curious to see the Oscars without a host. If production companies determine they can save the money and not lose audience-share, we may stop seeing hosts altogether.

Im not tuned into entertainment industry, but I get a sense A-list personalities dont want to host - too politically charged, one gaffe can have major career effect, and mega-work.

The Golden Globes with Ricky Gervais was good. Tina Fey and Amy Poehler were tolerable. The times that Kristen Wiig and Will Ferrell or Steve Carell presented were clever. But for the most part, the show is always about as luke warm for me as it was this year.

Edited by E.T.Bass