Has anyone else seen A Very English Scandal (w/ Hugh Grant & Ben Whishaw ), about a gay sex/attempted murder case involving a high ranking British MP?

This topic is 1960 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's a BBC drama (available on Amazon) about the famous sex scandal that rocked Britain forty years ago. I thoroughly enjoyed it and thought both stars did a great job in their roles. Here's the Amazon description:

The shocking true story of the first British politician to stand trial for conspiracy to murder. Jeremy Thorpe (Hugh Grant), the leader of the Liberal party, has a secret he's desperate to hide. His ex-lover Norman Scott (Ben Whishaw) is putting Thorpe's brilliant political career at risk so Thorpe schemes and deceives until he realizes there's only one way to silence Scott for good.involving a good looking British MP (Hugh Grant) and a young stable hand turned male model (Ben Whithaw).

14337742-low_res-a-very-english-scandal-cba797b.jpg?quality=90&resize=620,413

The actual Jeremy Thorpe:

1965_Jeremy_Thorpe.jpg

Edited by FreshFluff

Dying to see this series, HOWEVER, no DVD release here in the USA! (yet...)

Available on DVD in the UK, Australia, etc, but for Region 2 players!

Please, let's not get into a discussion of multi-region DVD players, etc.

BBC will not sell or ship to the USA.

Most distressing, but I'll live through it.

Will hold up hope that sometime in 2019 it will be released here.

Thank you. I am aware. that it is on Amazon Prime and Netflix, however, I already pay an exorbitant cable TV price and my budget does not allow me to pay for streaming services that I won't use, especially for one or two programs. Until then, I prefer to get a DVD from eBay or Amazon and share it with my senior friends who also do not use streaming services.

Happy New Year!

Guest europeanman
Thank you. I am aware. that it is on Amazon Prime and Netflix, however, I already pay an exorbitant cable TV price and my budget does not allow me to pay for streaming services that I won't use, especially for one or two programs. Until then, I prefer to get a DVD from eBay or Amazon and share it with my senior friends who also do not use streaming services.

Happy New Year!

Netflix is around 10 euros/dollars per month and has a lot to watch.

I saw the original production about 15 years ago. Would love to see this one and compare the treatment.

The original production? Do you mean that there was some previous film/theatre adaptation of this material? My understanding is that this series is based on a 2016 book.

As to the treatment, there's a unique feel to this series. Not that it's a brand new thing to combine elements of comedy into a drama, but it's done boldly here -- or maybe it's just, as the title says, "very English." Then, almost as a counterweight to the comedic overtones, there are moments of poignancy -- as, near the end, when Thorpe is asked, Why that man?, and images of other encounters flash through his memory.

There was a good piece about the series in THE NEW YORKER last summer. Worth a read ...

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/cultural-comment/the-very-english-politics-of-a-very-english-scandal

Thanks guys! After reading the replies, I realized I am an Amazon Prime member (I do an awful lot of ordering from Amazon!), so I was able to watch the series on my MacPro. While not the most comfortable experience watching on the 17" monitor, the quality was excellent and I managed to watch the series. I liked it very much. I'm a Big Ben Whitshaw fan.

Interesting to see UK actor, Alex Jennings in this production. He's a very prolific actor and appears, not only in Victoria but also The Crown. He is the only performer to have won Olivier awards in the drama, musical and comedy categories.

Oh BTW, when I say I pay A LOT for my cable TV package, I'm talking almost $250 a month, here in NYC! No, other options are not available in my building. I cannot justify spending extra for programming I will only watch occasionally. One of my New Year's resolutions this year is to to visit the Spectrum office and discuss what I can cut out, or economize on.

Happy New Year's guys!

Just finished watching it. Enjoyed it very much.

A question for those who know all things tv-trivia. As the series comes to an end, as the courtroom scenes close, the music seems like a rendition of the theme from the TV series The Munsters. My imagination? If I'm right, its a bizarre choice, but makes me smile