The Illusionists Magic of the Holidays 2018

Cooper
This topic is 1972 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

For the past 4 Holiday Seasons, "The Illusionists", has been playing at the Marquis Theatre. It has a short run and will be closing 12/30/18.

It stars 5 magicians: Colin Cloud "The Deductionist", Chloe Crawford "The Sorceress", Shin Lim "The Manipulator" & winner of America's Got Talent, Darcy Oake "The Grand Illusionist", and Adam Trent "The Futurist". In addition to the cast there's a show by "Light Balance", a hi-tech neon and LED dance group.

The show is most entertaining and offers something for every age. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Most magic shows I've seen have been on TV, so, to see one live was quite a treat.

Each magician puts on his/her own act and, when finished, introduces the next act. There's a lot of audience participation and you're encouraged to keep your cell phones out. I especially enjoyed the swallowing of the razor blades and the vanishing cell phone acts. As for Shin Lim, he's very talented but after 15 minutes of basically doing the same card trick it does get stale.

There's an act where all the audience participates. When you enter the theater you're given a hand-out with colors and numbers. During one act, you're told to fold and tear it up into small pieces. The magician goes around the theater with a cone on his head and you're to throw the paper into the cone. Of course, the paper goes all over the theater and leaves quite a mess for clean up. As the show ends, a snow storm is created by magic. With the lights hitting the flakes with different colors it looks rather spectacular.

Times Square is rather busy this time of year and line at TKTS was huge. Fortunately, I saw a 3pm show which started an hour after most matinees begin. So, no line after 2pm.