DNA Testing - Unintended Consequences

mike carey
This topic is 2011 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

In the middle of last year, a Sydney woman had a DNA test. She received more from it than she had bargained for. At almost the same time, another woman, in Jacksonville, also had a test. Both had been born in London, one in 1947 and the other in 1951, and both had been adopted as babies. What their DNA told them was that they had similar ancestry. In fact, that they were probably half-siblings. The ABC made this great radio documentary about them.

https://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/earshot/me,-my-half-sister-and-her-biological-mum/10461548

(Spoiler, it's not a gay story.)

Bnac, you also share a cool story of a long lost sib showing up out of the blue and " being instantly accepted by a huge extended family who accepted him for no other reason than sharing the same dna. " That's the kind of story that gets told and retold at family gatherings for decades.

Some sociologists maintain than such shared stories are the brick and mortar from which human families are constructed and maintained. The story of your search; The story of that first phone call. The first meeting; how Aunt Sue was the first to notice your laugh was just like your grandfather's. Endless bricks to make a family.

I was adopted at birth. The DNA test I took set me on a journey taking me from being a life time only child to the oldest of 7 half siblings. It is a humbling experience to go from being the bastard child to being instantly accepted by a huge extended family who accepted me for no other reason than we shared the same dna.

Wonderful story, but seems like your adopted experience wasn't that great?

Well, here's a horror story my sister told me. This is very recent. She works with a woman whose husband was adopted at birth. He's about 40. Earlier this year he finally convinced his Aunt to tell him who his real mother was (the Aunt knew that information but would not reveal it previously). He found out he had 3 other siblings. One was a sister who lives in California.

He went to CA to visit the sister. When he got back, he was constantly texting his sister. The wife caught him texting the sister with red heart emoticons. The guy fell in love with the sister!!! The wife ended up in the hospital where she stayed for a month because she was suicidal. And they have 3 minor children for god's sake. The husband has left the house and they are in the process of getting a divorce. My sister said the wife is better but still out on disability and several people at her company are constantly in touch with her to get her through this. Seriously, I was horrified when she told me this story.

Well, here's a horror story my sister told me. This is very recent. She works with a woman whose husband was adopted at birth. He's about 40. Earlier this year he finally convinced his Aunt to tell him who his real mother was (the Aunt knew that information but would not reveal it previously). He found out he had 3 other siblings. One was a sister who lives in California.

He went to CA to visit the sister. When he got back, he was constantly texting his sister. The wife caught him texting the sister with red heart emoticons. The guy fell in love with the sister!!! The wife ended up in the hospital where she stayed for a month because she was suicidal. And they have 3 minor children for god's sake. The husband has left the house and they are in the process of getting a divorce. My sister said the wife is better but still out on disability and several people at her company are constantly in touch with her to get her through this. Seriously, I was horrified when she told me this story.

Please tell me you really watched that on telenovela... LOL

giphy.gif