Favorite Concerts

quoththeraven
This topic is 2005 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Post a video/videos of songs you saw performed live.

1968 summer US tour (think this footage is from the same tour)

1977 tour

Serious Moonlight tour, 1983

Tour to support their 1989 reunion album

2014 gig in Englewood, New Jersey. Robert Randolph worked at the law firm I worked for before quitting to pursue music full-time.

These are all the concerts I can remember seeing: Hall & Oates thrice, Rick Springfield, Donna Summer, & the Bee Gees twice each (might've seen Los Hermanos Gibb a third time; not sure), ABBA & ELO once apiece. Still have my ABBA & ELO t-shirts, but can't fit into them. :(:oops::(:oops:

Also, I saw Warren Beatty's sister live at the Palace Theater in NY. Does that count?

If she performed music, it counts.

I envy you the Donna Summer and BeeGees concerts. I preferred the BeeGees' earlier pop stuff to their disco songs. I'm not sure if that's sour grapes (I disliked most disco music, but the best disco music was sublime) or a reflection of how quickly their earlier songs were forgotten or became underrated.

Edited by quoththeraven

Saw Donna at the Felt Forum (Madison Square Garden) on her Live & More tour with my sister & at the Forest Hills tennis stadium end of July 1979-- Hot Stuff & Bad Girls were # 1 & 3 on the Billboard chart-- with my sister, a 14 year old friend I took for her birthday who would be killed by a drunk driver 2 months later (I was 3 weeks shy of 17 at the time of the concert) and another friend who died of natural causes in his 30s. The make-up date in case of a rainout was during orientation week at Syracuse University, where I was going to start that fall. Thankfully it was sunny & dry, or I'd have had a hell of a fight with my parents about where I wanted to be.

None of my friends knew I was already scheduled to come home the weekend after my friend was killed, because I had ABBA tickets with my sister.

I have a vague recollection of seeing the Bee Gees at MSG, but I may be thinking of 1 of the 3 H&O concerts. I have vivid recollections of two other times, for non-musical reasons. I had tickets to see them at Jones Beach with my former roommate, who was a huge fan. She was in a terrible accident and was in the hospital recovering the night of the concert, so I went with a friend of hers and sat in the rain. They were great, though.

A couple of years later I was in Detroit working and a radio station in NY was giving away tickets to a Bee Gees concert that was going to be in NJ, but tickets were only available as part of a contest. Everyone we knew tried and failed to win tickets for her to go. I finally called the station and explained why I wanted tickets and I got two. She picked me up at the airport and we went straight to the concert. (My work had ended at that point.) They were great again.

Saw H&O with friends in Syracuse & at MSG, and alone in Florida when I was visiting my father.

My whole neighborhood loved ELO & a lot of kids went to see them at MSG for their Out Of The Blue tour, but I was sick of ELO at the time & didn't go. Of course, everyone raved about them, and I felt left out.

They toured again during my sophmore year in college, but didn't play Syracuse. I'd had my license suspended over the summer, but drove 50 miles to see them alone in Binghampton. It wasn't great.

As for Aurora Greenway, I went to the discount ticket booth in Times Square with my mother, aunt, and sister to get tickets to a play, but mom & sis saw tickets available, & dragged me to see her. Of course, she was spectacular.

*** interesting (sort of) observation in the NY Times review of Donna:

Donna Summer was blessed by a fine New York summer evening for the first of her two sold‐out shows at the Forest Hills Tennis Stadium Friday night. And she made the most of the setting and the weather, with a solid, entertaining, vital show. Best of all, she suggested that her already demonstrated capacity for growth may not be exhausted yet, and that for all the pop pleasure she gives now, she may one day be able to become something deeper and more important.

There are three forces contending for Miss Summer's artistic soul, to get cosmic about it. Sometimes it's tempting to think of those forces as two angels and a devil, but actually all three are capable of both good and bad. The three are disco, rock and middle of the road. For the most part, disco means her biggest hits (“I Feel Love,” “Last Dance”), full of energy and excitement in a vital, contemporary idiom.

Rock means another, more traditional source of energy, drawing from rock‐and‐roll but also from rhythmand‐blues and gospel music (“Hot Stuff”). Middle of the road, on the other hand, usually means a sodden collapse into bathos, with wooden expositions of either tired hand‐me‐downs (“The Way We Were”) or her own schlock ballads.

Not too long ago, Miss Summer wasn't doing much rock at all, and her ballads suffered from all the wrong kinds of formulaic, phony sentimentality. What was interesting about Friday's performance was the way in which she enlivened the uptempo numbers with a passion that, in vocal terms, she doesn't always quite attain on her records. More crucially, she sang much of the slower material with a heartfelt intensity that almost — not quite, yet, but almost — redeemed sentimentality into sentiment. It takes art to be a great ballad singer, and if Miss Summer isn't quite there yet, at least she suggests that the goal is in sight.

The show had its glitzy moments, especially the opening 45 minutes by Brooklyn Dreams, a pop‐disco outfit with forced evocations of Dion and other early‐60's New York pop‐rock acts. The trio's singing wasn't very good, the songs were shallow and the general impression was superfluous.

Miss Summer's act had its theatrics, too, with several costume changes, tacky set and the fabled miming with the microphone stand during “Love to Love You Baby” — an erotic image she professes now to dislike but which she did nothing on Friday to discourage.

But the tackiness fit the concept of her recent “Bad Girls” album, and went hand in hand with the generally loose, exuberant, friendly mood Miss Summer projected. It was that mood more than anything else that lifted the evening out of the stiff self‐consciousness that seems to afflict so many black acts these days. The general pattern here is to attain one's early hits in dance music and then to scurry as fast as possible over to an artificial, Las Vegas‐oriented showbiz style.

Miss Summer may yet fall into that trap, especially when her records stop ascending automatically to the No. spot. But what was heartening about her performance Friday was the hope it held out that perhaps she's bright and energetic and passionate enough both to enliven the old show tunes and modern ballads with the musicality they deserve, and to galvanize her act with the uptempo songs, both rock and disco, that she does now so wonderfully.

111730912_360W.png

Well it's a tie.

Prince, @ the Civic Center in St. Paul, which is long gone. Sheila E opened. I was just a kid. The Civic Center felt like Sodom and Gomorrah, and I mean that in the best way. Prince jammed much of the show and the audience went wild. Was around Christmas. Sold out several shows. A bad girl talked me into skipping work and seeing one of the afternoon shows. Prince loved the Twin Cities, and referred to the crowd during the show as "my Uptown".

The Bridge Concert at Shoreline Amphitheater Mountain View. Was damp and cold as fuck that night.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9MAeVcm3zPI

Edited by E.T.Bass

Saw Bette Midler's Clams On The Half Shell

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Bette-Midler-s-Birthday-Wish-To-Direct-Ariana-Grande-s-Next-Video-466269-7.jpg

The tour to promote Talking Heads' Remain In Light

http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news2/Bette-Midler-s-Birthday-Wish-To-Direct-Ariana-Grande-s-Next-Video-466269-7.jpg

The tour to promote Talking Heads' Remain In Light

talking-heads-remain-in-light-1980.jpg

I saw her twice (@ Northrup and at the hockey arena in San Jo') Nothing like a Bette Midler crowd. :D I love her so much.

Saw Bette Midler's Clams On The Half Shell

I saw her twice (@ Northrup and at the hockey arena in San Jo') Nothing like a Bette Midler crowd. :D I love her so much.

Joy Behar told a story the other day that she's told before... she was working on a cruise and at one point after she'd performed she heard somebody say "How can they afford Bette Midler on this cruise?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEiEdhdpErM

That is a very story that Joy B. told. I had not heard it before. But once I listened to it a youtube clip with Bette Midler was next and I watched that with Bette and Barbara Walters. Bette was doing a couch routine where she was asking Barbara various questions and she asked Barbara if she had ever "taken a dip in the lady pond?" Barbara had no idea what she was talking about. When someone whispered to her just what it meant, Barbara turned to Bette and said, "No, but if I did it would be with you in it." It was hysterical.

• 2 weeks later...

Weird Al Yankovic to perform with the Queens Symphony Orchestra in Forest Hills next summer

weirdal_2018_11_16_q01.jpg

A new show has been added to the Forest Hills Stadium that will bring some “mandatory fun” to the performance.

On July 20, 2019, “Weird Al” Yankovic will take the stage at the Forest Hills Stadium for his new “Strings Attached” tour but with a twist – his back-up band will be a symphony orchestra.

“I wanted to follow up my most bare-bones tour ever with my most elaborate and extravagant tour ever,” Yankovic said. “We’re pulling out all the stops for this one.”

Yankovic, known for his parodies of popular songs such as “Eat It,” “Smells Like Nirvana,” “White & Nerdy,” “Tacky” and “The Hamilton Polka,” will perform with the Queens Symphony Orchestra. The show will also include props, costumes and a video wall as he performs his high-energy rock set.

Yankovic’s 14th studio album “Mandatory Fun,” which was released in 2014, was the first comedy album to hit the number one spot on the Billboard Top 200 Album chart, making it the first comedy album to reach the top of the chart in over 50 years.

Tickets will be available starting on Nov. 16 at 10 a.m. For more information, visit foresthillsstadium.com.