100th anniversary of the birth of Margarita Carmen Cansino, known as Rita Hayworth

marylander1940
This topic is 1753 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

100th anniversary Rita Hayworth Hayworth's birth

Miles Webber: [Rose is embarrassed that Miles's college colleagues saw the racy photograph she gave him for his birthday] Let me tell you something: Back when I was in the Army, inside my locker I kept a picture of Betty Grable, and she was wearing a lot less than you were wearing in my birthday photo. Sweetheart, she was the darling of America.

Rose Nylund: Miles, she was in her twenties, and she had the most beautiful legs on the planet.

Miles Webber: [intimately] Ah... the *second* most beautiful.

Rose Nylund: [flattered] Oh, Miles.

Miles Webber: Rita Hayworth had a set of gams on her, boy... Well, no, look, Sweetheart, about the age thing. Something I read someplace I've always believed. Y'know, when you're... when you're young and beautiful, it's an accident of nature. But when you're beautiful older, you've earned it. That you created yourself.

Rita and her husband, Orson Welles established a restaurant in Big Sur with amazing views of the Pacific Ocean. I ate there in the 1990s.

Restaurant is Nepenthe

ARCHIVES | 1985

AN ENCLAVE IN BIG SUR

By JOSEPH GIOVANNININOV. 10, 1985

•  
    Cut into mountains that dive operatically into the Pacific, California Route 1 presents consistently sweeping vistas of Big Sur, about 150 miles south of San Francisco - down the coast to a succession of spurs, up the sides of the mountains and out to the vast, swelling ocean. Subtle for its shifts in color, especially at sunset, the Big Sur landscape is nonetheless awesome for its scale.

At Castro Canyon, just south of the hilltop cottage where Orson Wells and Rita Hayworth lived in the 1940's, the highway turns inland, and Big Sur folds in on itself in what is, for this coast, an unusual moment of intimacy. Even though forested with 200-foot redwoods, the canyon is close; a stream at the bottom of a deep V separates two hillsides that are 50 yards apart at the level of the highway.

It is here that Helmut Deetjen, a Norwegian immigrant, and his wife, Helen, settled in the early 1920's, when the highway was a dirt road. He built a small wood-frame, redwood-sided home in the canyon, with a pitched roof, in a style that recalled that of his homeland. When travelers came along, Mr. Deetjen invited them to stay over, and Mrs. Deetjen offered meals; gradually the small house became an inn, and the inn, a local tradition. Mr. Deetjen added on as the years passed, always with the same all-wood buildings. There was no master plan, just a casual string of free-standing houses settled in the canyon - and Mr. Deetjen's intimate touch. He named each cabin, and even tatooed the cottages with homilies by burning words into wood plaques - one reads, ''Open from Dawn to Dusk but not always awake.''

Edited by WilliamM

• 8 months later...