Was Someone Trying To Get Into My Apartment?

Avalon
This topic is 2060 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

A few minutes ago there was a knock at the front door. It was locked. I said nothing and waited to see if there would be another knock. But instead someone tried to turn the doorknob. I then yelled out several times "Who's there!" but there was no response.

Local police tried to break into mine thinking it was the apartment of a woman who called 911 but didn't give her full name before passing out. Because they're dumb, they were trying to get into her brother's apartment. (He lives next door to me.)

I do not know how they thought that a mailbox marked for Theodore Drake belonged to a woman with the same last name, especially since her mailbox clearly says Kathy Drake. Furthermore they didn't try ringing all (or any) doorbells before trying to break in. And they got the layout wrong, as proved by their removing the screen on the wrong apartment.

A few minutes ago there was a knock at the front door. It was locked. I said nothing and waited to see if there would be another knock. But instead someone tried to turn the doorknob. I then yelled out several times "Who's there!" but there was no response.

Probably Nat Turner come back to seek justice... or maybe just to explain how things really went down.

Do you have a neighbor, or someone who visits with some regularity? My elderly next door neighbor will occasionally knock on the door, then use the knocker, and sometimes, it seems as if she is trying to check the door handle. When I'm in the apartment, I always lock the deadbolt. It's a habit I picked up when traveling and staying in many hotels.

Edit: Could also be some random guests of your neighbors who were walking through the halls and doing that for grins.

Edited by bashful

Do you have a neighbor, or someone who visits with some regularity? My elderly next door neighbor will occasionally knock on the door, then use the knocker, and sometimes, it seems as if she is trying to check the door handle. When I'm in the apartment, I always lock the deadbolt. It's a habit I picked up when traveling and staying in many hotels.

I did hear neighbors in other units, voices, footsteps. In the past people have mistakenly come to my apartment looking for other tenants. But this was the first time someone tried turning the doorknob plus they did not respond when I yelled "Who's there?".

I switched to a pharmacy that does home delivery. Earlier this week I ordered something and was told that someone would be there between 5PM and 7PM. So I unlocked the door at 4PM. He arrived at 6PM. I asked him to lock it on his way out. He did.

Only person who comes by is the landlord @once a month with groceries and my mail.

No hallways. It's a fourplex and each front door opens to the outside.

Edited by Avalon

I did hear neighbors in other units, voices, footsteps. In the past people have mistakenly come to my apartment looking for other tenants. But this was the first time someone tried turning the doorknob plus they did not respond when I yelled "Who's there?".

This just reminded me of a time 20, almost 30 years ago, I had an apartment with an entrance from the outside (no common hall). It was late, I had just turned off the lights to go to bed, and all of a sudden, I heard my door open (before I got into the habit of locking a deadbolt or something), and someone started to walk in. Scared me, I yelled, and he yelled, "sorry, wrong apartment", and closed the door. Could just be someone confused on a Friday night.

This just reminded me of a time 20, almost 30 years ago, I had an apartment with an entrance from the outside (no common hall). It was late, I had just turned off the lights to go to bed, and all of a sudden, I heard my door open (before I got into the habit of locking a deadbolt or something), and someone started to walk in. Scared me, I yelled, and he yelled, "sorry, wrong apartment", and closed the door. Could just be someone confused on a Friday night.

If you're the wrong race, you could wind up being shot by an off-duty police officer who lives in the same building, as happened in Dallas.

I can remember, as I'm sure others can, the door was locked only when it was thought it might be blown open by the wind. Long gone are those days.

The deadbolt on my door is the most used "appliance" in my apartment.

When I was a boy and we moved out into the country we never locked our doors.

I can remember, as I'm sure others can, the door was locked only when it was thought it might be blown open by the wind. Long gone are those days.

The deadbolt on my door is the most used "appliance" in my apartment.

Even in Detroit, in the 60's, many didn't lock their doors. Some left their keys in the car overnight. I remember a friend in my late teens, in the early 70's, his family didn't lock the door because none of the 8 kids had a key.