Hearing Aids

edjames
This topic is 2104 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

OK, I've answered lots of threads asking for opinions and/or advice on various topics, so now it's my turn.

Have any members had any experience with hearing aids?

My ENT did a complete hearing test about 2 years ago and to no surprise revealed that my hearing in both ears has decreased sharply. Due to some other health issues, I was unable to followup up until about 2 weeks ago when we repeated the tests and once again, no surprise, hearing loss in both ears.

I know he wants to discuss fitting me for hearing aids but before I go I thought you guys might have some advice or tales of experience to divulge.

A friend just got hearing aids about 4 months ago and is thrilled with them.

One of my former doctors got fitted and after wearing them told me they did not help to increase the clarity of voices, and only amplified the sound.

I was a bit shocked to learn that Medicare, and private insurance, does not cover hearing aids and the cost can be expensive.

Anyone have any experience with private insurance programs for hearing loss?

On the other hand, I told the doc that I truly enjoy living a "quiet life"!

HELP!

Ed

OK, I've answered lots of threads asking for opinions and/or advice on various topics, so now it's my turn.

Have any members had any experience with hearing aids?

My ENT did a complete hearing test about 2 years ago and to no surprise revealed that my hearing in both ears has decreased sharply. Due to some other health issues, I was unable to followup up until about 2 weeks ago when we repeated the tests and once again, no surprise, hearing loss in both ears.

I know he wants to discuss fitting me for hearing aids but before I go I thought you guys might have some advice or tales of experience to divulge.

A friend just got hearing aids about 4 months ago and is thrilled with them.

One of my former doctors got fitted and after wearing them told me they did not help to increase the clarity of voices, and only amplified the sound.

I was a bit shocked to learn that Medicare, and private insurance, does not cover hearing aids and the cost can be expensive.

Anyone have any experience with private insurance programs for hearing loss?

On the other hand, I told the doc that I truly enjoy living a "quiet life"!

HELP!

Ed

Most companies will have a trial period that you can try them for and get a refund (in Canada anyway) and would strongly suggest that. The earlier (younger) you get them the more likelihood they will benefit you and when you trial them you need to use consistently as does take so time for your brain to adjust to them. The newer generation hearing aids are much better than the older ones at decreasing back ground noise but still can be an issue in larger crowds. Typically the more expenses ones have more ability to cancel out the background noise.

Got aids in June and could not be more pleased. Based on numerous recommendations I went to COSTCO and had a test that was far more extensive than any I had had in past visits to doctors and audiologists. I selected the aids that fit into to ear and are bluetooth controlled with my iPhone. Since I purchased the aids at COSTCO there was no fee for the test. The aids cost around $1500, slightly more that half of what I had been quoted at a doctors office.

Got aids in June and could not be more pleased. Based on numerous recommendations I went to COSTCO and had a test that was far more extensive than any I had had in past visits to doctors and audiologists. I selected the aids that fit into to ear and are bluetooth controlled with my iPhone. Since I purchased the aids at COSTCO there was no fee for the test. The aids cost around $1500, slightly more that half of what I had been quoted at a doctors office.

I too have hearing aids from COSTCO. They are the best with a 10 year warranty. In addition, if you loose one, they will replace for free. Only once however. They do tune ups for free. Very sophisticated instruments. They even tell how many hours per day you are wearing them. Totally wireless interface to their system. They adjust amplification frequency to compensate for your loss.

Medicare does not pay for:

1. Hearing Aids

2. Dental work

3. Eye glasses

So... They don't care if we can't hear, chew, or see....

Make America Great Again!

I too have hearing aids from COSTCO. They are the best with a 10 year warranty. In addition, if you loose one, they will replace for free. Only once however. They do tune ups for free. Very sophisticated instruments. They even tell how many hours per day you are wearing them. Totally wireless interface to their system. They adjust amplification frequency to compensate for your loss.

Medicare does not pay for:

1. Hearing Aids

2. Dental work

3. Eye glasses

So... They don't care if we can't hear, chew, or see....

Make America Great Again!

If I’m not mistaken, some of the Medicaid Advantage plans will begin to offer some coverage on some of these in 2019.

If I’m not mistaken, some of the Medicaid Advantage plans will begin to offer some coverage on some of these in 2019.

There is no such thing as Medicaid Advantage. It would be Medicare Advantage. No, neither traditional Medicare or Medicare Advantage covers hearing aids.

"No, Medicare does not cover hearing aids. According to the Center for MedicareServices (CMS) “Medicare doesn't cover routine hearing exams, hearing aids, or exams for fitting hearing aids.” It will, however, cover certain diagnostic hearingtests."

There is no such thing as Medicaid Advantage. It would be Medicare Advantage. No, neither traditional Medicare or Medicare Advantage covers hearing aids.

"No, Medicare does not cover hearing aids. According to the Center for MedicareServices (CMS) “Medicare doesn't cover routine hearing exams, hearing aids, or exams for fitting hearing aids.” It will, however, cover certain diagnostic hearingtests."

Mea Culpa with respect to Medicare vs Medicaid but I recall reading that beginning in 2019 Medicare Advantage plans as opposed to traditional Medicare will be able to start some coverage of these expenses - for an additional fee of course. Mine already covers most of my gym membership.

Hi guys - I have had Phonak Virto B90 titanium hearing aids for about 18 months and love them. They are in canal, you really have to look to see them. They have background noise-cancelling feature and when they are in I just forget that I have them. Unfortunately, sometimes I can even hear the neighbors next door!

They are EXPENSIVE :eek: and Medicare does not cover as discussed above, but worth it.

Caution, and I guess this would hold for all in-the-ear aids - you must keep all wax cleared from the ear. Wax can plug up the microphones and the ventilation holes and cut down the reception. You get tips to replace as necessary to keep clean but you need to keep the microphones clean from even oil from using your finger to place in ear.

As an aside, Medicare WILL pay for a hearing test if you happen to be on chemotherapy as I am so you can at least save a buck or two. :D