Leaving extra travel time in winter

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2064 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’ve gotten to a point where rushing is not my strong suit. So I leave extra time to do things, and read or watch TV at airports.

In November through April, if I have a connecting international flight, I leave an extra day early and stay the night so I dont miss my connection.

Anyone else crazy enough to do this?

Not crazy at all @gallahadesquire . I first try for non-stop flights, which is easy from Chicago. However, airfare sometimes is less on connecting flights. If I cave in to a cheaper flight, I make sure I have a long connection time. Just hang out at the airline lounge, and have a few drinks. Haven't overnight-ed on a connection in a long, long time, but it was usually on the west coast, going to Hawaii, in case weather delayed the departure out of Chicago. Back then, United would let you check your bag all the way to your destination, if going out on the first flight the next day. Carry-on was enough to spend the night. Not sure if still able to a check bag all the way through today.

I’m comfortable getting to the airport very early and reading.

Internationally coming home, I’ve done European domestic flight one day...then spent the night at airport hotel and gone on to my flight back home to USA next day. Relaxing, I’ve met some interesting people. A willing bartender at airport near Charles De Gualle about 3 years ago ;)

No rushing for me. I don't need the extra stress.

I get 2 free lounge passes per year on United and fly Business internationally so use lounges then, otherwise I'm happy to get to the gate early where I always have a book or newspaper.

I’ve gotten to a point where rushing is not my strong suit. So I leave extra time to do things, and read or watch TV at airports.

In November through April, if I have a connecting international flight, I leave an extra day early and stay the night so I dont miss my connection.

I don’t understand. In the very rare cases where you miss your connection, you just arrive at your destination a day later. Why is it such a big issue that you take that much precautions to avoid it, and loose a full day every time, instead of rarely?

Are you at risk of pissing off a client? Ruining someone's Birthday party? Missing a funeral? Some expectation like that?

I lived through:

Chicago, blizzard of ‘67

Massachusetts, blizzard of ‘78

If there’s one flight per day, I don’t want to miss it.

I did miss my mothers 70 birthday. I left my car to see if the flight was cancelled. It wasn’t. I went and got my suitcase. It was cancelled. Next flight was the day I was due to come home.

It’s all on my time now, so I want to be there.

I did SYD-LAX (14.5 hours) filled by a two-hour layover, then LAX-BOS. 21 hours out of 2r in the air. Nine time zones AND crossing the equator. Oi.

I understand Air New Zealand is starting non-stop service ORD-AUK in December.

I have flown from Sydney to LAX twice. But, each time with a flight back to the east coast tbe next.

Once I rented a car at LAX, and stayed at the Malibu Beach Inn. I wished for another day in Malbu, but had to get back to work.

I did SYD-LAX (14.5 hours) filled by a two-hour layover, then LAX-BOS. 21 hours out of 2r in the air. Nine time zones AND crossing the equator. Oi.

I understand Air New Zealand is starting non-stop service ORD-AUK in December.

And that is 2 weeks non=stop = No Food Service -- Beers are $87 starting on day 4 -- and If the airline would only turnoff the SOUND OF MUSIC and MR ROGERS GREATEST HITS --- It is only small charge of $18.59 per day --- GOD I LOVE TO TRAVEL!!!!

ANd Butt Plugs rentals are only $3.89 per day -- because making #2 is $25 a day!!!

• 1 month later...

Just when you thought flights couldn't get any longer, Singapore Airlines have resumed their Singapore to Newark non-stop service. Nineteen hours or something ridiculous like that. The great circle track heads just west of due north over China, Mongolia and Siberia before heading into New York over Hudson Bay and northern Québec. The service will be operated by new A350 aircraft configured with only premium economy and business class seating.

Edited by mike carey

Just when you thought flights couldn't get any longer, Singapore Airlines have resumed their Singapore to Newark non-stop service. Nineteen hours or something ridiculous like that. The great circle track heads just west of due north over China, Mongolia and Siberia before heading into New York over Hudson Bay and northern Québec. The service will be operated by new A350 aircraft configured with only premium economy and business class seating.

Not as ridiculous as one might think. I took this flight several times on Asia business trips in the early-mid 2000's. Back then it was also only business + premium economy classes. It was also a specially designed Airbus made specifically (and only) for that route. I found the premium economy seats very comfortable; they reclined back pretty far and had a lot of legroom. You could get up and walk around without having to disturb your neighbor if she was sleeping. There was also a small lounge on the plane where you could hang out and get a snack or something to drink without having to bother one of the FA's. All in all one of the more pleasant flying experiences I have had. And BTW it was also very cheap (back then, don't know about now) somewhere in the range of $1200 - 1500 for a round-trip premium economy seat.

I have also taken the Singapore-JFK flight on Singapore Air. Now THAT was ridiculous. 30 year old 747 with a cramped, uncomfortable economy class. Longer flight time due to non-polar route and a long layover in Frankfurt, I think. That was a one and done for me! :eek:

You can save a fortune scheduling international flights with ridiculously long layovers. I discovered this earlier this year when pricing flights to Rio. Don't recall the figures but much cheaper flights if you are willing to layover 30+ hours in Guatemala or Columbia. No way you'll miss your connecting flight. You can parlay your paranoia into huge savings!

I fly United, it's on time 95% of the time but if I'm flying international I would give myself 2 or 3 hours connection time.

I don’t understand. In the very rare cases where you miss your connection, you just arrive at your destination a day later. Why is it such a big issue that you take that much precautions to avoid it, and loose a full day every time, instead of rarely?

Are you at risk of pissing off a client? Ruining someone's Birthday party? Missing a funeral? Some expectation like that?

In America time is money.

Who would like to waste 1 day of holidays stuck at the airport and (if he has no seniority in the airline) paying a hotel night out of his own pocket?

You can save a fortune scheduling international flights with ridiculously long layovers. I discovered this earlier this year when pricing flights to Rio. Don't recall the figures but much cheaper flights if you are willing to layover 30+ hours in Guatemala or Columbia. No way you'll miss your connecting flight. You can parlay your paranoia into huge savings!

I'll keep that into account. Thank you @Gadfly22