DIY Security Cams

FrankR
This topic is 2080 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Seeking recommendations for DIY security cameras. Prefer HD that also does well in low light. Wont be outside, for indoor use only. Prefer something that is easy to install for a DIYer, and that does not require a subscription to a service (but I am open to it if the features make it worth my while). Looking at 3 cams in total to cover both entry ways and the garage.

I looked on amazon, but too many choices, my brain shut down 30 minutes into the search! :eek:Recommendations please, pro’s and con’s will also be appreciated! ;)Thanks much!

Seeking recommendations for DIY security cameras. Prefer HD that also does well in low light. Wont be outside, for indoor use only. Prefer something that is easy to install for a DIYer, and that does not require a subscription to a service (but I am open to it if the features make it worth my while). Looking at 3 cams in total to cover both entry ways and the garage.

I looked on amazon, but too many choices, my brain shut down 30 minutes into the search! :eek:Recommendations please, pro’s and con’s will also be appreciated! ;)Thanks much!

I highly recommend the YI brand cameras. They're about $25 on Amazon for HD. I like because they look just like Nest cams and take their accessories. I got my partner another brand for his house and they made me appreciate YI. Big things are they connect easily in 5 minutes, the 2" round black camera pops out of the stand so you can mount just it out of sight, it has a slot for a micro sd card that keeps 2 or 3 days of video to download if you want very easily. Most cam systems charge $10/mo for "cloud" storage (how they make their money). You avoid this with an SD card.

There's a new brand that Amazon pushes that's cheap but I don't know anything about it. It's in a big white box. Also Amazon is pushing it's own new brand of cams which is mostly an outdoor one now that's pretty cheap. It's the only brand that will integrate with Alexa.

Edited by tassojunior

This might be helpful...

https://www.popsci.com/set-up-DIY-home-security-system#page-3

I should add that at one time, I had converted a webcam in my office (connected to my computer) to a security cam, looking out of the window, so I could catch neighborhood critters digging around in my garden. That was long ago, though, and the software I used is way out-dated and no longer supported. It likely wouldn't even run on a current OS.

Edited by bnm73

I have 8 hard wired perimeter cameras covering my exterior...the Nest cameras are much easier and more reliable than this expensive professionally installed system monitored by ADT... :(

Having said that, I've been having problems lately with connectivity on my Nest thermostats...

I have 8 hard wired perimeter cameras covering my exterior...the Nest cameras are much easier and more reliable than this expensive professionally installed system monitored by ADT... :(

Having said that, I've been having problems lately with connectivity on my Nest thermostats...

Good old ADT - best known for their over billing! lol

I have heard of the Nest cams, but it is my understanding they require cloud access?

Good old ADT - best known for their over billing! lol

I have heard of the Nest cams, but it is my understanding they require cloud access?

Yeah, that's how Nest makes their money. Just like printer companies sell cheap printers and then gouge you on the price of ink cartridges, Nest (and others) sell inexpensive cameras and then charge you for storage of the video.

There are systems/software that you can use for local hard drive storage instead of "the cloud." The price options depends on how much configuration and such you want to do yourself.

Might this be helpful?

https://www.cnet.com/news/diy-home-surveillance-with-a-webcam/

Evocam is what I used years ago, if I remember right...but I only needed 1 cam at the time.

Yeah, that's how Nest makes their money. Just like printer companies sell cheap printers and then gouge you on the price of ink cartridges, Nest (and others) sell inexpensive cameras and then charge you for storage of the video.

There are systems/software that you can use for local hard drive storage instead of "the cloud." The price options depends on how much configuration and such you want to do yourself.

Might this be helpful?

https://www.cnet.com/news/diy-home-surveillance-with-a-webcam/

Evocam is what I used years ago, if I remember right...but I only needed 1 cam at the time.

Actually Nest cams are expensive ($200) and they hit you for cloud storage.

The YI brand at Amazon and eBay is almost identical to Nest but only $25 and they have SD slots to store 2 or 3 days of footage you can easily download. Their quality is as good as Nest and they take Nest accessories so I suspect they're knock-offs from the same factory. They are incredibly simple to hook up---10 minutes.

So nice to see if I left a door open or a grill on when I'm out and so nice to check on the house when I'm overseas.

Actually Nest cams are expensive ($200) and they hit you for cloud storage.

The YI brand at Amazon and eBay is almost identical to Nest but only $25 and they have SD slots to store 2 or 3 days of footage you can easily download. Their quality is as good as Nest and they take Nest accessories so I suspect they're knock-offs from the same factory. They are incredibly simple to hook up---10 minutes.

So nice to see if I left a door open or a grill on when I'm out and so nice to check on the house when I'm overseas.

If they have SD slots, couldn’t you store more days with bigger SD Cards? They aren’t really limited to 2-3 days are they? I’m sure as in all things size matters.

If they have SD slots, couldn’t you store more days with bigger SD Cards? They aren’t really limited to 2-3 days are they? I’m sure as in all things size matters.

Unfortunately most I've seen say they're limited to 32gb cards. I've seen a couple comments that some will recognize a full 64gb card but YMMV. Also makes a difference between HD and SD mode and whether it's color or night mode black and white. On a 32gb in color and HD I get about 3 days. It's super easy (one click) to download).

I highly recommend the YI brand cameras. They're about $25 on Amazon for HD. I like because they look just like Nest cams and take their accessories. I got my partner another brand for his house and they made me appreciate YI. Big things are they connect easily in 5 minutes, the 2" round black camera pops out of the stand so you can mount just it out of sight, it has a slot for a micro sd card that keeps 2 or 3 days of video to download if you want very easily. Most cam systems charge $10/mo for "cloud" storage (how they make their money). You avoid this with an SD card.

There's a new brand that Amazon pushes that's cheap but I don't know anything about it. It's in a big white box. Also Amazon is pushing it's own new brand of cams which is mostly an outdoor one now that's pretty cheap. It's the only brand that will integrate with Alexa.

After much procrastination, I ordered them today - should be here by the weekend. Thanks for the recommendation!