Cutting a Session Short?

CarolinaRen
This topic is 2115 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Hello I just signed up here after lurking for quite a while. I have done a lot of research based on your recommendations and really appreciate the quality of feedback that I found here. I signed up last night after a frustrating experience. For the first time ever I was late for an appointment. I got the times mixed up, so it was my fault, 100%. I arrived 15 minutes after we were supposed to start. The masseur was pretty miffed because the guy before me didnt show, so he thought he had 2 no shows in a row. He said this is why he didn't like to run discounts, because it attracted flakes. My question for you is this: shouldn't the massage have lasted the remainder of the hour that I had scheduled? We had almost a full 40 minutes once getting started. The massage went about 25 minutes, and it was done.

Hello I just signed up here after lurking for quite a while. I have done a lot of research based on your recommendations and really appreciate the quality of feedback that I found here. I signed up last night after a frustrating experience. For the first time ever I was late for an appointment. I got the times mixed up, so it was my fault, 100%. I arrived 15 minutes after we were supposed to start. The masseur was pretty miffed because the guy before me didnt show, so he thought he had 2 no shows in a row. He said this is why he didn't like to run discounts, because it attracted flakes. My question for you is this: shouldn't the massage have lasted the remainder of the hour that I had scheduled? We had almost a full 40 minutes once getting started. The massage went about 25 minutes, and it was done.

Short answer: Yes. It is kinda unprofessional for him to express his frustrations to you and to cut short your session. Sounds like the guy had a bad day. It happens. The question you have to answer for yourself: was the (short) session you had good enough to give him a second chance??

Guest InthePines
Did you let him know you were running late? Not sure why he would have stopped your session before the original end time though.

Good response. It sounds as if the masseur is overly booking back to back and not permitting sufficient time between appointments. While his over reaction is understandable, it was an over reaction to the situation, and if he didn't have another appointment booked, he should have dismissed the tardiness, (shit happens), and provided you a full hour massage.

If he did have another appointment booked, you should have been offered an explanation and an apology for cutting it short and possibly a discount on the next visit, which ultimately would have been a win/win for both of you.

We all do things we regret and most are easily dismiss with a text apology, but in this case it seems you're dealing with either an asshole, or a masseur who's behind the on his bills and took it out on you.

Regarding the question of my notifying him, yes, when I realized I was running late I texted, apologized, and assured him I was a short way away and if it was ok to come late. He said yes it was. I texted at 604, arrived at 614. Session was to be an hour from 6 to 7.

So to clarify @CarolinaRen , you were 15 minutes late for a 1 hr session, notified him by text you were running late. He told you to still come. By the time the massage started after you arrived late, there was 40 minutes left for your 1 hour massage. And he only did 25 minutes?? That sucks.....you were entitled to the remainder of the time. So he shorted you 15 minutes. I would have commented after the 25 minutes when he was wrapping up that you had time left, since even if you started on time (not being late) that is only a 40 minute massage and you were paying him for 60 minutes. Not cool. Unprofessional. I would not return. (maybe that is why he is offering discounts. Not enough clients since his business practices are lacking.)

Is it one of those situations where the HE occurred maybe before the masseur had planned? If so, perhaps he thought you were "finished", so it was over?

I have experienced that, but the masseur still finished the time....( after clean up...ha. )

Otherwise, then yes, the massage should have lasted the remaining part of the hour you paid for, especially after the late start!

Did you enjoy the HE?

Is it one of those situations where the HE occurred maybe before the masseur had planned? If so, perhaps he thought you were "finished", so it was over?

I have experienced that, but the masseur still finished the time....( after clean up...ha. )

Otherwise, then yes, the massage should have lasted the remaining part of the hour you paid for, especially after the late start!

I would assume it's all over then.

@CarolinaRen, welcome to the forum!

1. You screwed up the time. Did he text to ask you if you were coming? How did you know you had the wrong time?

2. You arrived 15 minutes late.

3. The massage only lasted 25 minutes before the masseur ended it?

4. You paid and left. Did you express disappointment on not getting the full 40 minutes that remained of the hour after your tardiness.

It was unprofessional of the guy to express frustration with you about his prior client. That's not your fault. Expressing some frustration with you about your tardiness is completely appropriate, especially if he books back-to-back clients. But, he should've provided you with the full remaining time you paid for, assuming you paid the agreed upon one-hour rate.

I've noticed that some providers who also provide an HE frequently end the sessions if the HE results in "happiness" because their experience is that many clients are "done" once they're happy. I've also run across a few providers who continue working after "happiness" is achieved to provide the total time.

For me, it is frustrating and unprofessional when your masseur doesn’t give you the time paid for. If the fee is $100/hour then you should get the hour. How that hour is structured may vary but that is up to you and the masseur to negotiate or at least be informed about. The very best massage experiences I’ve had include the full time paid for, an excellent massage experience, and no sense of being rushed. Good masseurs who know what they are doing can manage time and client expectations quite skillfully. But granted... things happen, people have bad days, and sometimes sessions need to end early for different reasons.

I actually had a guy start off with me on my back (which I thought was unusual, until....) pretty quickly it got into almost full on sex (we both got off), but then he finished my front, had me flip over and worked on my back...for the full hour. Interesting way to start a massage!

I always let them know I'm omw or running a little late. Sometimes traffic isn't something you can do much about especially if you you are not familiar with traffic patterns at certain times of the day.

He should not have projected his frustration over the previous client who didn't show up on you. That wasn't your fault. 15 minutes isn't even that long really. I have had small talk after that lasted as long. If he's booked up so tightly that he's running them in with 15 minutes to spare that's his fault for poor time management. Plus some guys like to rest/shower before the next client.

I probably wouldn't repeat unless he was really good or if you reached out and explained to him that you feel shorted and he's apologetic. Since he's had time to calm down some you might be able to recover a better session and discount. If he was not good I'd just not worry about it and find someone else.

While rare, I’ve had the following happen:

A masseur stopped after 40 minutes of a 90 minute session saying he was tired and then proceeded to talk my ear off about this that and the other thing. I paid for 40 min and left.

A masseur stopped at 50min of a 90min session saying he really needed to pack up and get on the road. Charged me only for 50min which was ok but sort of a weird situation.

Guest InthePines
I always let them know I'm omw or running a little late. Sometimes traffic isn't something you can do much about especially if you you are not familiar with traffic patterns at certain times of the day.

He should not have projected his frustration over the previous client who didn't show up on you. That wasn't your fault. 15 minutes isn't even that long really. I have had small talk after that lasted as long. If he's booked up so tightly that he's running them in with 15 minutes to spare that's his fault for poor time management. Plus some guys like to rest/shower before the next client.

I probably wouldn't repeat unless he was really good or if you reached out and explained to him that you feel shorted and he's apologetic. Since he's had time to calm down some you might be able to recover a better session and discount. If he was not good I'd just not worry about it and find someone else.

Well said!

I'm always massaged in my home and masseurs are frequently late. That said, I wouldn't dare show disrespect towards them as a result, for conflict at the beginning is most likely going to lead to a bad massage experience. Furthermore, I don't hire masseurs who are prone to booking back to back, (which is why I avoid the travelers when they come to town), for they're usually exalted and ill-prepared, and minor incidence such as a fifteen minute tardiness becomes so much more than need be.

I actually had a guy start off with me on my back (which I thought was unusual, until....) pretty quickly it got into almost full on sex (we both got off), but then he finished my front, had me flip over and worked on my back...for the full hour. Interesting way to start a massage!

Yes, I had the exact same experience recently. It was a whole new experience having a massage not anticipating the sensual and HE component. Quite enjoyed it.

For me, it is frustrating and unprofessional when your masseur doesn’t give you the time paid for. If the fee is $100/hour then you should get the hour. How that hour is structured may vary but that is up to you and the masseur to negotiate or at least be informed about. The very best massage experiences I’ve had include the full time paid for, an excellent massage experience, and no sense of being rushed. Good masseurs who know what they are doing can manage time and client expectations quite skillfully. But granted... things happen, people have bad days, and sometimes sessions need to end early for different reasons.

Does the HE start during the massage or after it?

@CarolinaRen, welcome to the forum!

1. You screwed up the time. Did he text to ask you if you were coming? How did you know you had the wrong time?

2. You arrived 15 minutes late.

3. The massage only lasted 25 minutes before the masseur ended it?

4. You paid and left. Did you express disappointment on not getting the full 40 minutes that remained of the hour after your tardiness.

It was unprofessional of the guy to express frustration with you about his prior client. That's not your fault. Expressing some frustration with you about your tardiness is completely appropriate, especially if he books back-to-back clients. But, he should've provided you with the full remaining time you paid for, assuming you paid the agreed upon one-hour rate.

I've noticed that some providers who also provide an HE frequently end the sessions if the HE results in "happiness" because their experience is that many clients are "done" once they're happy. I've also run across a few providers who continue working after "happiness" is achieved to provide the total time.

Thats probably true. The HE was done and good, but that period of the massage started much earlier than usual.

I always speak up if the massage session is cut short. It has happened many times where the masseur will do 35 or 40 minutes for a 1 hr session. I usually pay $120-$150 hr. If they ever cut it short, especially at that price point, I call them on it and ask them to finish the session for the full time. They never argue (they know they are wrong) and finish the full session. The key point here is to speak up. By not saying anything, they take that as a cue that it is acceptable and will do it to the next client. And the next one after that. So by letting them know it is not okay to short us on the time, we are actually helping protect other clients down the road.....and that client could be you.