massage rates like a yo-yo

Smurof
This topic is 2017 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There are a minority of masseurs who seem to change up their rates for no reason. Whether they are traveling, or believe a special event is coming to town, why alter instead of have a consistent rate? In other words, if you seek a peak rate, why not charge it all the time?

There are a minority of masseurs who seem to change up their rates for no reason. Whether they are traveling, or believe a special event is coming to town, why alter instead of have a consistent rate? In other words, if you seek a peak rate, why not charge it all the time?

This is a trend. With Uber and their changing rates when there’s more demand. Or Disneyland when they increase their ticket prices during peak days. Or San Diego gas and electric that is charging 400% more during peak demand hours (2 pm to 6 pm) this week. :mad:

It is a market. I have always had a keen interest in markets. Personally I drop rates when I want to do more than 5 sessions a week (my general sweet spot.). When I drop rates I end up getting more clients, sometimes more money and always more tired. I have been working for over twenty years and in my current lifestyle changing rates makes a lot of sense. Plus it is fun to watch the market.

• 3 months later...

massage rates like a yo-yo

It is a market. I have always had a keen interest in markets. Personally I drop rates when I want to do more than 5 sessions a week (my general sweet spot.). When I drop rates I end up getting more clients, sometimes more money and always more tired. I have been working for over twenty years and in my current lifestyle changing rates makes a lot of sense. Plus it is fun to watch the market.

1675385.gif

I believe it comes down to what you just said - the market, and traveling.

Sometimes different cities command different rates. When I used to live in Oklahoma, the going rate was about 75/hour for massage. But now that I live in Atlanta, or when I’d travel to cities with higher cost of living (literally anywhere outside of Oklahoma) the rate is nowhere near that. Different cities command different rates, and when you travel, there’s no great way to rectify that. Clients get understandably upset, and changing rates all the time isn’t great business practice.

After trying tactics that didn’t work, i finally decided to keep the rate the same regardless of traveling or not. I lost business at home in Oklahoma, but it wasn’t worth the headache.

I would think that massage rates would change based on the market one's in?

For example, if the massuer is traveling and normally charges 100/hr but looks at the local competition who's charging 140 but he's clearly more muscular/better looking/unique ethic background for the area or whatever metric) than the locals, shouldn't he raise prices accordingly?

For example, if he's getting a lot of bookings, could he then consider raising prices for the rest of the trip or just take note for the next visit?

If a guy's a little thinner, average or chubby (not saying that there isn't a market for these body types because there is) going to a market where guys are charging his 140 from his market but they are in better shape or more classically attractive also charging that. Should he not consider lowering prices a little to attract more attention while he's there? Especially if he's "Available Now" for most of his stay.

I'm basing my thinking on how certain jobs pay more or less depending on what area of the country you're in.