Disney-Pixar movie COCO

BroadwayDave
This topic is 2148 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

So, weekend before last, while I was bored out of my mind with nothing going on, and it being way too hot to be outside for too long, I decided to catch up on some movie watching. I did drive to the theaters and watch “Solo”, and the next day watched “Phantom of the Opera” and “Coco” on Netflix. I had less-than-zero interest in “Coco” prior to the Academy Awards earlier this year, but when it beat out my favorite “Loving Vincent” it caught my attention.

Fast-forward several months and begrudgingly I clicked on “Coco” and settled in with a big bowl of Orville’s best microwave popcorn. ;)

Much to my surprised I really and truly loved the movie. The animation is stunning, the storyline interesting with a great twist, and I came away from it feeling joy in my heart.

I was telling a friend about it at work, and she was adamant that she didn’t watch cartoons. I tried to explain to her the difference between a typical old-fashioned Saturday morning cartoon short and a full-length animated feature film, but she continued to the point of degrading them, saying ‘I don’t watch that mess and don’t want it in my collection’ (of DVD’s). She said she might buy if for her children’s children, but that was as close as it would get.

I couldn’t help but think of all the really great animated feature films she has missed out on, some of them modern day classics already.

So, weekend before last, while I was bored out of my mind with nothing going on, and it being way too hot to be outside for too long, I decided to catch up on some movie watching. I did drive to the theaters and watch “Solo”, and the next day watched “Phantom of the Opera” and “Coco” on Netflix. I had less-than-zero interest in “Coco” prior to the Academy Awards earlier this year, but when it beat out my favorite “Loving Vincent” it caught my attention.

Fast-forward several months and begrudgingly I clicked on “Coco” and settled in with a big bowl of Orville’s best microwave popcorn. ;)

Much to my surprised I really and truly loved the movie. The animation is stunning, the storyline interesting with a great twist, and I came away from it feeling joy in my heart.

I was telling a friend about it at work, and she was adamant that she didn’t watch cartoons. I tried to explain to her the difference between a typical old-fashioned Saturday morning cartoon short and a full-length animated feature film, but she continued to the point of degrading them, saying ‘I don’t watch that mess and don’t want it in my collection’ (of DVD’s). She said she might buy if for her children’s children, but that was as close as it would get.

I couldn’t help but think of all the really great animated feature films she has missed out on, some of them modern day classics already.

Animation has come a long way. It really started to evolve a few years ago, around the time the Shrek movies were released - kids enjoyed them, but so did the adults; the humor and jokes were to 'involved' for kids to understand. No doubt they were targeting adults. A great story, is a great story and goes a long way. I haven't seen Coco, but will take a look at it on Netflix - thank you for letting us know! :)