Housebreaking A Dog

Avalon
This topic is 2160 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I saw a PetSmart commercial. It began showing a young man with a puppy and then the dog aged through several scenes.

In housebreaking he carried the dog where he already had a diaper spread on the floor. I thought that a clever way to do it.

When I was a boy I took the dog outside.

Speaking of dogs, I am just now hearing fireworks. Can't believe they are starting so soon before the 4th. Poor dogs will have to endure them for days now.

I have a running battle with some in our neighborhood....Downtown sponsored fireworks aren't enough...They feel the need to be obnoxious as possible..late at night..Our poor dogs hate them..they shake..pant heavily..try to sit in my lao or on my head....One is quite big at 70 lbs....one is 20lbs...I bought a Thundershirt for the big one....we will see what happens...

Last year I asked our nextdoor neighbors to stop and they did...Anything other than sparklers are illegal here in Fl....

All I had to do was put a box full of "Friskies" on the floor. The cat would open one pouch a day while I was gone. The next door neighbor who'd check on on her every couple days was a bit awestruck.

She thought it was a treat as normally I let her free feed on dry food and gave her Friskies once a week or two.

Cystitis_02.jpg

I toilet trained her as a kitten. She preferred the litter box, but if it was too stinky we'd fight for dominion of the toilet in the wee hours of the morning. She was obstinate about not flushing the toilet.

hqdefault.jpg

Remember you'll need to have someone care for your pet when you want to on vacation. That can be a chore.
Edited by Guy Fawkes

It's what kept me pet-less for a long time. Then I got a dog when I had a roommate and we were both there to take care of her. Now that he's moved on, I'm a single dog dad, and it's difficult scheduling at times. I go out a lot less, I don't stay out as long when I do go out, and I travel less, or find someplace where I can bring her along. My life's changed and I wouldn't go back to not having my girl for anything.

I saw a PetSmart commercial. It began showing a young man with a puppy and then the dog aged through several scenes.

In housebreaking he carried the dog where he already had a diaper spread on the floor. I thought that a clever way to do it.

When I was a boy I took the dog outside.

If you use incontinence pads you will be teaching the dog to pee in the house. It is better to take the dog outside. A puppy has to go out every three or four hours. My last dog was not housebroken when I adopted her. I took her out often, but she still persisted in going in the house. I consulted a trainer who told me to put her on a schedule that I had to adhere to, basically walking her about 1-2 hours after eating, first thing in the morning, and before going to bed. I would put her favorite treats (cubes of broiled chicken) in a baggy in my pocket. Every time she would pee or poop outside, I would praise her and give her a couple of pieces of chicken. This was the only time she got treats. It took about two weeks, but after that she was fastidious. For the next 13 years, unless she was ill, we never had a problem. The only side effect was that for the rest of her life after “doing her business” outside, she would sit and look up at me, head cocked to one side, as if to say- “OK Dad, I did my part, now where’s the chicken”.