2018 Tony Winners

edjames
This topic is 2164 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

2018 Tony Award Winners: Full List

tonys-2018-340-performance-from-the-band-s-visit-articleLarge-v3.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

These are the winners of the 72nd annual Tony Awards. Read our latest updates and watch along with our theater critics.

Best Musical: “The Band’s Visit

Best Play: “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Best Revival of a Musical: “Once on This Island

Best Revival of a Play: “Angels in America

Best Book of a Musical: “The Band’s Visit,” Itamar Moses

Best Original Score: “The Band’s Visit,” Music and Lyrics: David Yazbek

Best Leading Actress in a Play: Glenda Jackson, “Three Tall Women”

Best Leading Actor in a Musical: Tony Shalhoub, “The Band’s Visit”

Best Leading Actress in a Musical: Katrina Lenk, “The Band’s Visit”

Best Featured Actor in a Play: Nathan Lane, “Angels in America”

Best Leading Actor in a Play: Andrew Garfield, “Angels in America”

Best Featured Actress in a Play: Laurie Metcalf, “Three Tall Women”

Best Featured Actor in a Musical: Ari’el Stachel, “The Band’s Visit”

Best Featured Actress in a Musical: Lindsay Mendez, “Carousel”

Best Scenic Design of a Play: Christine Jones, “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child”

Best Scenic Design of a Musical: David Zinn, “SpongeBob SquarePants”

Best Costume Design of a Play: Katrina Lindsay, “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child”

Best Costume Design of a Musical: Catherine Zuber, “My Fair Lady”

Best Lighting Design of a Play: Neil Austin, “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child”

Best Lighting Design of a Musical: Tyler Micoleau, “The Band’s Visit”

Best Direction of a Play: John Tiffany, “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child”

Best Direction of a Musical: David Cromer, “The Band’s Visit”

Best Choreography: Justin Peck, “Carousel”

Best Orchestrations: Jamshied Sharifi, “The Band’s Visit”

Sound Design in a Play: Gareth Fry, “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child”

Sound Design in a Musical: Kai Harada, “The Band’s Visit

Special Tony Award for lifetime achievement in the theater: Chita Rivera, Andrew Lloyd Webber

Special Tony Award: Bruce Springsteen, John Leguizamo

Regional Theater Tony Award: La MaMa E.T.C.

Isabelle Stevenson Tony Award: Nick Scandalios

Tony Honors for excellence in the theater: Sara Krulwich, Bessie Nelson, Ernest Winzer Cleaners

As for the category of “Best Revival of a Musical”, I was surprised that Once On This Island won over My Fair Lady.

IMO, Once On This Island was very good but My Fair Lady was great.

Most of the other Tony winners were predictable. Both Andrew Garfield & Natan Lane from Angels in America deserved to win. Their performances were outstanding as was the play.

The Bands Visit was a big winner. It was one of the first plays that opened this Awards season and, at one point, was a difficult ticket to get. Since then it’s been at TKTS.

I felt the show moved along quickly. The acceptance speeches were well timed. A couple went on beyond their allotted time & were cut off. As for the hosts, Josh Groban & Sara Bareilles, they stuck to what they do best which is singing.

Looks like the highlight will be Robert deNero.

Agree with others' assessments of the show. One thing I'll add - I really appreciated the integration of live Twitter feed.

As a general rule, I find live social-media integration into live TV to be pointless or blatantly commercial attempts for producers to capture the interest, hold the attention, of those suffering from Smartphone Addiction Syndrome.

I liked the #TonyDreaming pics of all the viewers in the closing number, showing their participation in performance arts.

As for the category of “Best Revival of a Musical”, I was surprised that Once On This Island won over My Fair Lady.

IMO, Once On This Island was very good but My Fair Lady was great.

Most of the other Tony winners were predictable. Both Andrew Garfield & Natan Lane from Angels in America deserved to win. Their performances were outstanding as was the play.

The Bands Visit was a big winner. It was one of the first plays that opened this Awards season and, at one point, was a difficult ticket to get. Since then it’s been at TKTS.

I felt the show moved along quickly. The acceptance speeches were well timed. A couple went on beyond their allotted time & were cut off. As for the hosts, Josh Groban & Sara Bareilles, they stuck to what they do best which is singing.

Looks like the highlight will be Robert deNiro.

I've only been able to see Once On This Island this season, and although I've heard many good things about My Fair Lady, I'm really excited for Island - I was really bowled over by it. I also have a colleague in Carousel (who appeared as part of the ensemble in the Tony opener - YAY!), and just learned a former student of mine is about to join the Carousel company - but I'm still very very happy that Island won. And the Island performance was a canny and absolutely seamless medley that made me smile. I do wish Alex Newell had been up for an award.

Likewise so thrilled for The Band's Visit - a beautiful and evocative score from the extremely versatile David Yazbek, and watching Katrina Lenk's performance of "Omar Sharif" last night was one of the best moments of the telecast IMO.

I thought the performances were a mixed bag. The Mean Girls number was horrid in every way. How did this shit ever get to Broadway? The Spongebob number was absolutely fun and entertaining, but the forced character voices make this show impossible for me to listen to. Frozen was typical workmanlike Disney - the winter effects were fun onscreen, but no pun intended, it all left me cold. Summer was just odd. I don't understand the need for 3 Donna Summers (even if it's clearer in the show it made no sense for the excerpt), and the number itself was more "Soul Train" than theatre. (The difference lies between using dance as an organic part of theatrical language/expression, and merely dancing along with the song, which is what I felt they were doing.)

The numbers for My Fair Lady and Carousel were oddly contrasting. The "Get Me To The Church" dance seemed oddly un-choreographed. The effect may have been to present something more spontaneous and purposely messy, more realistic than doing an organized routine - and I totally get and appreciate that - but I don't think it worked. On the opposite end of the spectrum, the "Blow High, Blow Low" number from Carousel was a great showcase for Justin Peck's choreo - specific, clean, and athletic, but also exciting and playful. I'm surprised this was the number they picked in some ways, yet I also see why they would want to show this.

The plays? Were there any? Well, they did get awards, but as usual, we didn't get to see anything from any of them. Well, except for a cameo appearance from the Angel in Angels in America. But it's ironic, then, that we got two major monologues (both great) from John Leguizamo and Bruce Springsteen. I enjoyed both - but jeez, give the plays a chance to show something...

The opening number was fun, I thought, and was perfect for the hosts. But going full circle and doing a finale reprise was a terrible idea. Just say goodnight and let the orchestra play things out.

The current cast of Dear Even Hansen singing "For Forever" was a fitting, classy, and appropriately unobtrusive accompaniment for the "In Memoriam" sequence.

Some wonderfully moving acceptance speeches. And then there was DeNiro. Look - it's not that many of us don't agree with him, it's just that I wish he had taken the high road with everyone else instead. With so many positive statements made by others, his comments were tone deaf.

Rachel Bloom? (That squeaky, rambling, over-caffeinated hot mess of a high school cheerleader reject who was backstage leading us into the commercial breaks...) Please get her off the broadcast. Ugh.

The Parkland students? Moved me to tears. Unforgettable. Particularly, perhaps, for those of us who work with youngsters doing theatre. But on a larger level, something that will define this broadcast for years to come. The irony of course is that I'm sure we all wish they could have done this under happier circumstances. But then again, their resilience and courage is what made it so moving. And they sounded good (they could have rocked out a bit more, but I can't complain lol.) And for those of us who know the song well, were we all full of joy for that high C? Were we all sitting there on the edge of our couches going "is she going to go for it?" I found myself crying as the number went on, but that moment had me bawling. "How about love" indeed.