Lohengrin at Covent Garden

sydneyboy
This topic is 2159 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

On Thursday I attended the opening night of the Royal Opera’s new production of Lohengrin. I have seen the opera twice before in an ultra traditional Opera Australia production dripping with medieval mysticism. Rather predictably this David Alden production was updated to about I would guess the 1930’s in a European country probably Germany. Although I am an unashamed reactionary when it comes to opera production I would have to admit the production had a dramatic cogency. Reading the reviews it has divided the critics.

The heroes of the evening were the conductor Andris Nelsons and the magnificent orchestra and chorus. Hearing that band and chorus in full flight was a thrilling experience. Of the singers the women won the night. Christine Goerke was superb as Ortrud and the young Jennifer Davis excellent as Elsa. She was to be the understudy to Kristine Opalias (the estranged wife of the conductor) but Opalias cancelled early in the proceedings (I wonder why? (sic) ). Klaus Florian Vogt as Lohengrin was sweet voiced but not exactly thrilling but dramatically very plausible. He certainly has the physique du role.

All in all an entertaining and thoughtful night at the opera.