Russell Tovey- Angels in America

This topic is 1826 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

hi. I thought Tovey was in the NYC production of Angels in America but apparently he isn’t. Wasn’t there a lot of press about him and his fiancé living in NYC so that Tovey could do the play? Did I miss something or was I just mistaken?

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
What was his issue with Nathan Lane?

I don't know if there was a specific issue but the general rumours are that Lane is a nightmare diva to work with, and I have heard those from people who have worked with him or close to him for years. Also said to be uncomfortable tension between him and Garfield and other members of the cast. Was a very "interesting" reaction shot from Garfield at the Tonys when Lane thanked him. I am a fan of Lane's generally, and it's always disappointing to hear that one's favourites may not be the nicest people, but apparently what you see is not usually what you get with him

It's interesting that Nathan Lane gets so many awards and praise from the industry if he is so difficult to work with / I had not heard those rumors before.

Being a great actor and getting awards for your craft doesn't necessarily correlate with being a good colleague/nice person, alas. Also I have to add that that may not be everyones experience with Lane, but I have enough friends and colleagues in the business who have had a less than pleasant time with him, so I am inclined to believe them

The question, horntywells, is the time frame your friends/colleagues had those issues. He went through a time that...well, in his speech he referred to a dark time of drugs and alcohol and he wasn't kidding (I've heard things and seen things as well to back that up). But it seems that his marriage has balanced him out more than a little (and while he's still not all...sunshine and roses...the other thing he referred to in his speech...of expanding his work so he didn't just see himself as a 'funny man/laugh clown, laugh' has helped as well). So if Tovey had problems with him now (and I can so see him staying in his Roy Cohn persona a weeeee bit too much)...he should have tried a few years ago

I agree in the sense that he was apparently a lot worse years ago for reasons I don't want to get into on a forum, but I have friends who work in the National Theatre in UK and apparently he was not a popular colleague, and that was just before the NY run of Angels, plus am hearing stories that tensions are high here in NY too..... I do think that great actors, especially ones that are great with comedy, often have a very dark side they struggle with. I also think talented people with extremely high standards are often not easy to work with-not so much a criticism as a fact, altho there are exceptions

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...