Yahoo update to Terms of Service/Privacy Policy

Samfoslom
This topic is 2194 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

some time ago i received this email from Yahoo to my Yahoo account

Dear Member,

(Review and agree now

To help you understand some of the key updates, we’ve provided a summary below as well as a description of what tools are available to you to manage your data and experience within Oath’s house of brands. Please note that this summary is not exhaustive and we encourage you to review the updated versions of our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy. Those terms and not this summary will govern your relationship with Oath. To learn more about our approach to privacy, click here.

Terms of Service Updates Summary

Privacy Policy Updates Summary

• We’ve made it more readable! We took care to make it easier for you to understand our services and our privacy practices.
  • We’ve updated how we collect and use data. We’ve updated some of the ways we collect and analyze user data in order to deliver services, content, and relevant advertising to you and protect against abuse. This includes:
    • Analyzing content and information (including emails, instant messages, posts, photos, attachments, and other communications) when you use our services. This allows us to deliver, personalize and develop relevant features, content, advertising and services
    • Linking your activity on third-party sites and apps with information we have about you
    • Providing anonymized and aggregated reports to other parties regarding user trends....

So they're going to read my email? or are they just going to collect all the send and receive addresses? This scares the sh*&)! out of me. I'm paring down what goes in/out of my yahoo email account. Am I overreacting? thoughts, please!

They always did, surely? Not, of course, someone literally going through every email but it is a programme which picks on keywords and phrases. I keep one email address for sensitive material which is supposedly encrypted at both ends. I am not sure if it really is secure but I at least am doing my poor best. And when it comes to it, most of us have little to hide.

I actually always have had a "dirty" email where I have my more "sensitive" materials sent. The other one is for Amazon, friends, and every political junk mail I can think of. I know deep down that the government can look at and connect both accounts no matter what I do. I suppose they might have to get some kind of warrant to actually make use of it. And I seldom have works like "pipe bombs" or "terrorist cell" in my emails.

what gets me is it says they are looking at email content for advertising purposes.

Many are looking at everything you do, say, write, and poop for advertising purposes. Like it or not, there is very little you can do to avoid it. Anything you do manage to do will impact your quality of life more than anything else......very little matters, except that which you feel.