Before The Fall: German & Austrian Art Of The 1930s

WilliamM
This topic is 2209 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

‘BEFORE THE FALL: GERMAN AND AUSTRIAN ART OF THE 1930S’ at Neue Galerie (through May 28). An exhibition in the form of a chokehold, the third of the Neue Galerie’s recent shows on art and German politics pushes into the years of dictatorship, with paintings, drawings and photographs by artists deemed “degenerate” by the Nazis — as well as by those who joined the party or who thought they could shut out the catastrophe. (You will know the dissidents, like Max Beckmann and Oskar Kokoschka; the fascists and sellouts are less known.) Gazing at macabre still lifes of dolls and dead flowers, or dreamy landscapes in imitation of an earlier German Romanticism, you may ask to what degree artists are responsible for the times in which they work. But then you see “Self-Portrait in the Camp,” by the Jewish German painter Felix Nussbaum — made between his escape from a French internment camp and his deportation to Auschwitz — and you know that there can be no pardon. (Farago)

212-628-6200, neuegalerie.org

Comment: Neugalerie is a wonderful small art museum in New York City

I have the book for this exhibit (available on Amazon). Excellent reproductions. I am absolutely attending the exhibit in New York City.

Three parts: Toward Catastrophe; Magical Realisms; Lost Souls

Best new art book in a while.

I have the book for this exhibit (available on Amazon). Excellent reproductions. I am absolutely attending the exhibit in New York City.

Three parts: Toward Catastrophe; Magical Realisms; Lost Souls

Best new art book in a while.

Just not my kind of art.