Ford makes major announcement

samhexum
This topic is 2223 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Six years ago, I looked at X3, and Q5. Would have been my first SUV. Liked them both very much, but hated BMW made you buy expensive option packages just to get the one or two things I really wanted. A neighbor cautioned me his Q5 cost a fortune in maintenance (over $700 for a break job). Neither dealers were willing come down in price much. Ended up buying another sedan.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Focus Active can't compete with the Civic in the US but in Europe it will because of tariffs.

The Focus has always beaten the Civic in Europe because it has generally been considered to be a significantly better car. The latest global Civic is a significant improvement on the previous Euro/Japanese car, but it’s not good enough to beat the Focus.

I will be surprised if the Active trim does well though. The only ruggedised models that have done well here are those with genuine off road ability, e.g. the Skoda Octavia Scout, Fiat Panda 4x4, etc. Ford are also chasing luxury car buyers with Vignale versions of the Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo, but I’m yet to see a single Vignale branded car on the road.

Ford are also chasing luxury car buyers with Vignale versions of the Fiesta, Focus and Mondeo, but I’m yet to see a single Vignale branded car on the road.

Might be Ford is overreaching somewhat. I've heard that Fords in Europe are perceived as a more premium brand than Fords are in the US. Much of the success, and satisfaction buyers in the US have with the Fusion is that it is a less water downed version of the Mondeo, than other Fords in the past were when based off their European versions. I always thought Ford should have included a wagon model of the Fusion (as the Mondeo has), but with some more ground clearance, like in the Audi Allroad. Buick is trying it with the new Regal, curious to see how it does.

Edited by bashful

Might be Ford is overreaching somewhat. I've heard that Fords in Europe are perceived as a more premium brand than Fords are in the US. Much of the success, and satisfaction buyers in the US have with the Fusion is that it is a less water downed version of the Mondeo, than other Fords in the past were when based off their European versions. I always thought Ford should have included a wagon model of the Fusion (as the Mondeo has), but with some more ground clearance, like in the Audi Allroad. Buick is trying it with the new Regal, curious to see how it does.

Since the Fusion/Mondeo was developed as a world car, with high US sales in mind, it hasn’t really done well in Europe. I’ve driven every generation of Mondeo and this is the first I have disliked.

Ford is not seen as a premium manufacturer here, rather they have a reputation for making the best driving cars in each segment (with the exception of the Mondeo). That combined with reasonable value and a good dealership network sees the Fiesta and the Focus at the top of sales rankings on a regular basis.