Backpage CEO Carl Ferrer pleads guilty in three states

LAdude424
This topic is 2254 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I haven't read the Post article due to the paywall, but this is an excerpt from the NYT.

"The various plea agreements require Mr. Ferrer to shut down Backpage.com worldwide,
give the website’s data to law enforcement officials
, and cooperate in the prosecution of its founders, Michael Lacey and James Larkin."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/12/us/backpage-plea-deal-ferrer.html

clear your website data in your browser and you get 10 nite free articles. Shusssh. It’s a secret.

This has the downside of signing you out of every website you're signed into. If like me you have a hard time remembering your usernames and passwords, it may be more hassle than it's worth.

This has the downside of signing you out of every website you're signed into. If like me you have a hard time remembering your usernames and passwords, it may be more hassle than it's worth.

On my Safari browser, I can click the Advanced button, search specifically for the ‘Post’ data and delete that one set of website data. I’m sure Firefox has the same function. As to Chrome, well I choose to not share my life with Google and their data-scrapping clients.

It’s available in both iOS and macOS Safari apps.

Edit. And Kindle Fire’s Silk

Edited by instudiocity

On my Safari browser, I can click the Advanced button, search specifically for the ‘Post’ data and delete that one set of website data. I’m sure Firefox has the same function. As to Chrome, well I choose to not share my life with Google and their data-scrapping clients.

It’s available in both iOS and macOS Safari apps.

If that's possible on my Kindle Fire tablet, which uses a proprietary browser called Silk, it's not apparent. Bing is the default search engine, so Silk may be a Microsoft product or Microsoft-based. I'm a little skeptical that Amazon and whomever it subcontracted with created a browser from scratch.

When I saw that Ferrer wasn't charged in the indictment and was referred to as C.F., I was convinced that meant he was cooperating with authorities and was negotiating a plea deal. I don't know what kind of pressure was brought to bear on him, but it certainly benefited the prosecutors.

Also the timing is unlikely to be directly tied to FOSTA because FOSTA was designed to overcome the dismissal of civil lawsuits against Backpage by teenage girl alleging they had been trafficked through the posting of ads on Backpage. The California criminal charges against Backpage that were among the ones Ferrer pled to were also similarly dismissed, but the evidence of editing of ads to hide the fact the advertisers were underage, the creation of phony ads on other sites to increase sales for Backpage advertisers, the murder of a few underage advertisers as a result of the services they advertised on Backpage, and the allegation of artificial limits to Backpage's cooperation with authorities regarding trafficking (monthly limits and a refusal to take reports from relatives other than parents and siblings) were enough to allow them to proceed without relying on FOSTA and without running into the same CDA defense as before. (I don't know if the Texas and Arizona state charges had also been similarly dismissed based on the CDA defense FOSTA removed.)

In any event, Ferrer's plea agreements are definitely a big deal and information he provided, and his testimony, are likely to be crucial to the prosecution.

If that's possible on my Kindle Fire tablet, which uses a proprietary browser called Silk, it's not apparent. Bing is the default search engine, so Silk may be a Microsoft product or Microsoft-based. I'm a little skeptical that Amazon and whomever it subcontracted with created a browser from scratch.
A simple search yields all the info you need to change your search engine and to manage cookies all in one page.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201730580

A simple search yields all the info you need to change your search engine and to manage cookies all in one page.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=201730580

Thanks. I already took care of the search engine. Will have to look for individual cookie targeting.

Right now I need to start the count over for the New Yorker as well as the New York Times.

Thanks. I already took care of the search engine. Will have to look for individual cookie targeting.

Right now I need to start the count over for the New Yorker as well as the New York Times.

And WaPo.

I love that nickname. Like they already be crying over what they post.

I haven't read the Post article due to the paywall, but this is an excerpt from the NYT.

"The various plea agreements require Mr. Ferrer to shut down Backpage.com worldwide,
give the website’s data to law enforcement officials
, and cooperate in the prosecution of its founders, Michael Lacey and James Larkin."

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/12/us/backpage-plea-deal-ferrer.html

Just use Incognito mode.

The scary thing is he pled guilty to making advertisers re-word their ads so they didn't sound like prostitution. That sounds like what a lot of the sites have been doing the last couple weeks, no shirtless photos, no phone calls or texts after midnight, no sexual reviews, etc.

Edited by tassojunior