A Star Is Born (2018)

LoveNDino
This topic is 1879 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/movies/a-star-is-born-women.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/movies&action=click&contentCollection=movies&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=7&pgtype=sectionfront

CRITIC’S NOTEBOOK

How the New ‘A Star Is Born’ Complicates an Old View of Womanhood

Imagemerlin_144555147_29a588e5-820f-40ac-bf0b-b91f8f24ecd3-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga in “A Star Is Born.” This remake pushes back against previous versions of the story — sometimes.CreditCreditWarner Bros.

By Aisha Harris

• Oct. 10, 2018

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/movies/a-star-is-born-women.html?rref=collection/sectioncollection/movies&action=click&contentCollection=movies&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=7&pgtype=sectionfront

CRITIC’S NOTEBOOK

How the New ‘A Star Is Born’ Complicates an Old View of Womanhood

Imagemerlin_144555147_29a588e5-820f-40ac-bf0b-b91f8f24ecd3-articleLarge.jpg?quality=75&auto=webp&disable=upscale

Bradley Cooper and Lady Gaga in “A Star Is Born.” This remake pushes back against previous versions of the story — sometimes.CreditCreditWarner Bros.

By Aisha Harris

• Oct. 10, 2018

It would have been interesting if the story followed the Ariana Grande-Mac Miller tragedy.

Saw this tonight.

Wildly uneven in spots, but hey, Cooper is a first time director. It happens.

While she had a strong out-of-the-gate performance, the music in the film felt like B-sides to an Adele album. Nothing that even came close to what Harold Arlen wrote for the Garland/Mason version.

And on Judy at Carnegie Hall CDs, Judy says Harold...stand up...Harold Arlen..then to the audience...he wrote most of these songs.

• 4 months later...
Guest InthePines

Old post. Streisand's version came out when I was in high school and sealed the deal that I was gay in ways I won't go into, but I do think Cooper and Gaga's collaboration was better, even though the screenplay was erringly similar.

Streisand was in some ways too big for the role. She had already won a best actress Oscar, starred in three musicals, sang the theme songs for two of her other films, (The Way we Were and One a Clear Day which were more successful than the films themselves), so the Streisand brand was established, which was very clear in the musical choices she made for the film. As Streisand played the character, you get the impression she would have made her way out of the lounge long before she met Kris Kristofferson.

I do feel the acting kudos most deserving where the Cooper/Elliott relationship, for it grounded the film with a reality the 1976 version never really possessed.

I'm happy for Cooper and Gaga and do think both Oscar nods were worthy, but it will be the ultimate act of cruelty if she wins it over Glenn Close, for it's her seventh nod over a 38 year period. That said, like Julianne Moore in Still Alice, I believe she'll get the votes even though most members haven't seen The Wife.

Old post. Streisand's version came out when I was in high school and sealed the deal that I was gay in ways I won't go into, but I do think Cooper and Gaga's collaboration was better, even though the screenplay was erringly similar.

Streisand was in some ways too big for the role. She had already won a best actress Oscar, starred in three musicals, sang the theme songs for two of her other films, (The Way we Were and One a Clear Day which were more successful than the films themselves), so the Streisand brand was established, which was very clear in the musical choices she made for the film. As Streisand played the character, you get the impression she would have made her way out of the lounge long before she met Kris Kristofferson.

I do feel the acting kudos most deserving where the Cooper/Elliott relationship, for it grounded the film with a reality the 1976 version never really possessed.

I'm happy for Cooper and Gaga and do think both Oscar nods were worthy, but it will be the ultimate act of cruelty if she wins it over Glenn Close, for it's her seventh nod over a 38 year period. That said, like Julianne Moore in Still Alice, I believe she'll get the votes even though most members haven't seen The Wife.

It is also clear the Judy Garland would have become a star in the 1950s version. Excellent post in the Pines.

Guest InthePines
It is also clear the Judy Garland would have become a star in the 1950s version. Excellent post in the Pines.

Thank you, kind sir.

Guest InthePines
It's also clear that Garland was robbed of that Oscar for ASIB.

Not that it amounts to anything now, but it's still a bad decision worth grousing over ;)

Agree with your grousing. Be it A Star is Born, Judgment at Nuremberg, Meet Me in St. Louis, or a half dozen of her other films, the fact that a talent the magnitude of hers never won an Oscar on some level demises the legitimacy of the Academy as a whole.

Agree with your grousing. Be it A Star is Born, Judgment at Nuremberg, Meet Me in St. Louis, or a half dozen of her other films, the fact that a talent the magnitude of hers never won an Oscar on some level demises the legitimacy of the Academy as a whole.

Agreed, although she did get a Special Juvenile Oscar in 1940.

Guest InthePines
Some say Grace Kelly slept her way to that year's Oscar. I would never be so rude.

I think the Hollywood of those days viewed the casting couch more as a marketing tool than a moral or ethical choice. It was either put out or be delegated to the June Allison parts.

Agreed, although she did get a Special Juvenile Oscar in 1940.

And Judy Garland was a gifted actress in concerts in early 1960in both arena shows or much smaller venue s.In the 1963=1964, TV series on CBS.

Judy could change from a overwhelming Arlen Come Rain or Come Shine to a quiet Noel Coward If Love we're all followed by That's Entertainment dropping the mic and dancing around the stage and closing with For once in my life sitting on the edge of the stage.

• 3 weeks later...

I have to say that for some reason I thought I was definitely going to hate the Gaga/Cooper version, if only because I knew of the Garland one. And I have to say I liked the Gaga one a lot. Actually it is a version that I thought that I would have liked to have run a little longer. At any rate, I'm glad they were able to pull what they did. Congratulations.