Renee Zellweger as Judy Garland

LoveNDino
This topic is 2155 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about Reeber McEntahr?

Good try. It's Reba McEntire. She played Nellie in a concert version of "South Pacific" in New York and did well. She was fine because her character was from the south in the musical, but Garland was about as far away from the south as you can get in American show business.

Good try. It's Reba McEntire. She played Nellie in a concert version of "South Pacific" in New York and did well. She was fine because her character was from the south in the musical, but Garland was about as far away from the south as you can get in American show business.

He knew how to spell Reba's name.

His Orwell quote gives away the obvious trolling :)

Marni Nixon can dub it! :D

From beyond the grave.........?

Yes. I'm convinced that Marni could do anything - and still can. :D

(I got to accompany a masterclass she did, about a decade ago. A charming lady. At the time she was in town with a national tour of My Fair Lady, playing Mrs. Higgins. Very fun. I wasn't fond of much of the production, but she was great!)

I saw Judy Garland perform in New York around Christmas 1967 when I was in the Army stationed at Fort Dix, New Jersey.. I believe the film covers her life in London, a year after her New York Christmas concerts. Judy's voice was adequate (just barely) in late 1967 because she still had enough vocal power to surprise. I remember she make "Get My Regards to Broadway" exciting -- not as easy task.

I suspect her voice had not improved much in London in 1969.

I saw Judy Garland perform in New York around Christmas 1967 when I was in the Army stationed at Fort Dix, New Jersey.. I believe the film covers her life in London, a year after her New York Christmas concerts. Judy's voice was adequate (just barely) in late 1967 because she still had enough vocal power to surprise. I remember she make "Get My Regards to Broadway" exciting -- not as easy task.

I suspect her voice had not improved much in London in 1969.

Who knows, WilliamM, if we had been blessed with her presence a bit longer you couldve been hubby #6! Or would it have been 7?

The clown bit is just to build toward the final song. Judy Garland also danced at her famous Carnegie Hall concert in 1961. It was during "That's Entertainment."

Listen to CD Judy at Carnegie Hall (1961) again.

I could not even imagine trying to be compared to Judy Garland. It seems like a hopeless task unless you are really, really sure you can do it. She such an icon and more than that to the gay population.
Edited by WilliamM

From what I read, it was huge that Zellweger pulled off "Chicago" musically. Can't imagine why she'd want to risk comparison to Garland. And no way, she can top Judy Davis.

Confirming what her daughter Liza said about her.

Despite popular portrayal of her as shrinking or weak, she was a tough broad.

Despite popular portrayal of her as shrinking or weak, she was a tough broad.

I saw Judy Garland perform in 1961 and twice in 1967. In late 1967, her voice was still pretty good, but not what it once was. She was broke and deeply in debt with little hope of big paydays again. I agree that she could not be Dinah Shore because she was better guest than host of a TV series.