Bars in NYC

tanman4u
This topic is 2252 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I have a trip to NYC (actually just across the river in NJ) coming up next week. I'll have a couple of evenings free and was just wondering what bars those of your familiar with the city can recommend. Not really into high energy dance bars, just someplace with a cool vibe where I'll feel welcomed. I'll be taking a bus across the river to the Port Authority terminal so something in that area would be great but I'm not opposed to taking Uber or the subway.

If you're arriving at Port Authority, you'll be in Hell's Kitchen (HK) which is full of trendy gay clubs and bars. A short walk to many locations.

You might want to try Therapy 348 W 52nd St, or Flaming Saddles 793 9th Av, or Posh 405 W 51 St, or Hardware 697 10th Av. Any of the online sites can assist you.

Flaming Saddles is a lot of fun and the bartenders and people are friendly there.

The bartenders are friendly at Boxers HK too but it gets crowded there. Still fun and they are shirtless. If it's really nice out they

have a rooftop bar.

Renaissance New York Times Square Hotel has a nice bar area that overlooks Times

Square from about the sixth floor. Pricey but a great view.

Thank you for the suggestions. I've bookmarked all of them in my Maps app. I normally don't have any free time when I'm on a trip there but this month I actually have two full days (and nights) to myself. In years past I would NEVER venture across the river and into the city. I could only think of MadMax movies. Now that I've realized how quick and easy it is I'm really looking forward to it.

Posh in HK is very laid back and one of my favorite places. Flaming Saddles a is a lot of fun as well. Overall, to me, HK’s scene sucks - I’d venture either to the Village or Chelsea. Personally, I love Barracuda - it’s low-key and friendly. It’s on 22nd just 1 block south of the C/E at 23. You can catch those trains right from Port Authority.

I may actually do a bar crawl, something I haven't done since Dublin and that was more of a pub crawl and definitely wasn't gay bars. I note that a couple of your suggestions ie: Monster and Duplex are by the only bar I've ever ventured to before, Hangar. (Checking my list of reviews will tell you my attraction to Hangar). And of course I love me some strip bars but I'm learning about them on that forum. Thanks for your suggestions guys.