Bright Colors and Bold Patterns

edjames
This topic is 2260 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This gay play has been running at the Soho Playhouse for awhile. Friends saw it and liked it. I wasn't that thrilled. The NYTimes called it "devastatingly funny."

A one-man monologue, actor, Jeff Hiller as the character Gerry, gives the audience a drug and alcohol fueled rant. Invited to a gay wedding in Palm Springs Gerry arrives at a tacky house/bandb(?) where he encounters his older friend (ex roommate/boyfriend), and his friend's latest boytoy at the pool. Drinks are poured and Gerry's invectives towards, well everyone, begin. It's a rant that never ends and soon wears on your nerves as Gerry's loud and obnoxious voice begins to grate on your nerves. As the day/evening progresses, Gerry becomes worse, has more to drink and indulges in a bevy of drugs. No one is spared his evil mouth. Gerry hates everyone.

I found it less than funny and at times I thought to myself "Is this the portrait of gay men we want to portray?" Evil, mean, selfish, alcoholic and drug addict?

Directed by Michael Urie, I left feeling that the play would have been better presented had Michael himself took on the role.

It's running for a few more weeks. I am told it ends its run on April 1.

2132153AC-AAD4-BCDD-6E9EE1F0813C4391.jpg