Johnny Weir @ the Olympics

OCClient
This topic is 2293 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've never enjoyed the skating coverage as much as this Olympics with Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski. Gotta wonder though, when I watched last night his hair was almost another TV show happening, a little bit distracting. I just couldn't figure out what was going on up there on top of his head. Probably just me being old fashioned, because I couldn't tell whether it was all him, or some kind of head piece. Didn't seem like made-for-TV hair. At least they didn't stop to talk about it. That would have been worse. I'm glad T.L. and J.W. are doing the skating comments for NBC. I admit looking forward to what's up there next time, and perhaps that is what it's all about.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski are fun because they're both drag queens. This year's winter Olympics are the gayest I've ever seen. That's certainly a plus for me.

I’m not into the gay thing for the Olympics. I want competent analysis, and Johnny is doing a great job. Those troubled by his looks should just listen. He knows his stuff and expresses himself well. For another, equally competent and refreshing approach, I recommend watching the Canadian coverage. The commentary is outstanding.

I’m not into the gay thing for the Olympics. I want competent analysis, and Johnny is doing a great job.

That's kind of my point. Gays can be quite competent, and they're showing us their competence in South Korea. It's stunning to me how "gay" Johnny Weir truly is. And it's also stunning that his gayness is being accepted by all corners of these very traditionally conservative organizations. A serious breakthrough, IMO.

That's kind of my point. Gays can be quite competent, and they're showing us their competence in South Korea. It's stunning to me how "gay" Johnny Weir truly is. And it's also stunning that his gayness is being accepted by all corners of these very traditionally conservative organizations. A serious breakthrough, IMO.

Come on, this isn't 1890. In the 21st century, everybody pretty much expects figure skaters to be gay! Gay! GAY! And Johnny is only flamboyant off camera, like in his social media accounts. When he's doing commentary, he gets down to brass tacks and provides some great insights.

Come on, this isn't 1890.

I'm not sure what world you live in, but 1890 seems about right for the IOC and U.S. network news up until recently. It's one thing for "gay" skaters to be "pretty much" accepted. It's a whole other thing for a skinny, twink-type, 33-year-old male, who dresses like the Sultan of Oman's daughter, to be hired and paid as an official commentator for the Olympics. Clearly, someone in power is looking to the future and trying to figure out how to get younger people to watch, since ratings are not great.

Today's NYT features Johnny and Tara off the ice at the Olympics...

What’s Inside Johnny Weir’s Hotel Room at the Olympics

By KAREN CROUSEFEB. 16, 2018

merlin_133969136_bb5f4b4c-8a9d-4113-b22b-ec37eb02423b-master675.jpg

Never mind the athletes they are covering; by virtue of the unadorned honesty of their commentary and the haute-couture majesty of their wardrobes, Weir and Lipinski have become must-see TV.

Weir, 33, has his hair swept into a bird nest — two women help him style his hair and do his makeup each day — and wears sequined blazers over layers of leather and lace. Lipinski, 35, wears small dresses and high heels, which she can get in and out of in less time than it took her to complete a short program. On Friday, she strolled into Weir’s room for an interview wearing jeans and a casual top. Upon finding out she and Weir would be videotaped, she slipped out of the room. She returned 1 minute 50 seconds later wearing a fire-engine-red mini dress and heels.“I make fun of how small her dresses are,” Weir said. “That’s why she has less luggage than me, because her dresses are napkin-sized.”

• merlin_133968923_4b49a7e9-657a-4170-8066-6bde64fcebbf-superJumbo.jpg
    Some globe-trotters collect decorative spoons or native art as keepsakes. Not Weir, who arrived here with suitcases (13!) filled with mementos of his uncharted journey from a self-described country bumpkin to a global personality.

“My clothing are my treasures, my Picassos,” Weir said. “I didn’t grow up with much, so when I purchase something or own something, it’s more about the experiences that I had to be able to afford that thing, the memory of where I bought it.”

He added: “Everything has meaning. It isn’t just a sparkly jacket.”

(Another answer to TV viewers’ questions: Weir wears designer clothes but also shops at discount outlets like TJ Maxx.)

It was the second Friday of the Olympics, and Weir and Lipinski had just returned to their spalike Richard Meier-designed hotel after a 10-hour work day that was still a few hours from being a wrap.
    merlin_133968899_f0e7c096-e291-4dbc-8863-1b8fd3e52445-superJumbo.jpg
    Weir’s jewelry — hardly the usual gear for a sports commentator. CreditHilary Swift for The New York Times
    They had just called the men’s short program, the same event where at the 2006 Winter Games in Turin, Italy, Weir emerged as the second-best skater on his way to a fifth-place finish. With a little more than an hour before their presence was required at a production meeting, they huddled to coordinate their next-day’s outfits.

Six months before these Games, their second as a broadcasting team, Lipinski and Weir began talking about their Olympic wardrobes. They receive some clothing on loan from designers (one accessory in Weir’s collection was last worn by Pink), but still rely mostly on outfits they pull from their closets.

“We’re pretty on point,” Weir said.

They trust each other’s tastes and are quick to come to each other’s rescue when a fashion disaster strikes. Earlier in the week, Lipinski experienced an on-air wardrobe malfunction when the lining of her dress sneaked up her leg. During a break, a few people formed a circle around Lipinski, who allowed Weir to stick his hand under her dress and pull the lining down as if it were a window blind. “Only Johnny can fix it,” Lipinski said with a laugh.

During broadcasts, a steady stream of spectators sidestep the solicitous ushers and climb the stairs to where Weir, Lipinski and their other broadcasting partner, Terry Gannon, are perched and surreptitiously snap their photographs. On their way in and out of the Gangneung Ice Arena, they are surrounded by selfie seekers.
    merlin_133969035_df560407-d9a7-4d40-98d4-e1b7c740fd50-superJumbo.jpg
    Lipinski pointing out some of her favorite shoes from Weir’s collection. CreditHilary Swift for The New York Times
    They have been in the public eye more than half their lives, and they take the attention in stride.

“I grew up lower-middle class in the middle of Pennsylvania,” said Weir, who is from Coatesville and is now based in Philadelphia.

“My parents always talked about the importance of being who you are and if you are different, celebrating that and being as special as you can be,” Weir said, adding, “So when choosing the things I wear or the things I say, it really does come from the heart because that’s all I know. I don’t know how to create an image. I don’t know how to be premeditated.”

They bring to their presentation and their performance the same meticulousness and drive that fueled their success as athletes. Their workday starts before sunrise and usually doesn’t end until after dark, which leaves them little time to drink in the glorious views from their adjoining rooms at the resort hotel, which overlooks the East Sea, Gyeongpo Lake and the Taebaek Mountains.

Weir owns an impressive collection of brooches, and yet neither he nor Lipinski has traded a single Olympic pin. As Weir noted, who are they going to barter with, each other? “We’re more likely to trade earrings,” he said.

16weir3-blog427-v2.jpg
    Weir saying goodbye to Lipinski, whose room is next door. They often work 18-hour days together during the Olympics.CreditHilary Swift for The New York Times
    And nine days into these Games, they hadn’t made it to the mountains where many of the events are being held, although they came prepared, packing warm boots and clothing that is ski-lodge chic just in case.

“We’ve been to a lodge that looks like a ski area,” Weir said.

They see a lot of each other, and that suits them fine. On Friday, they spent several minutes fingering through each other’s wardrobe as they tried to settle on outfits for the men’s long program. Lipinski started with Weir’s shoes. She pointed to the diamond-encrusted pair he wore last year to her wedding to the sports producer Todd Kapostasy, in which he served as brides-man.

“Johnny had to stand out,” Lipinski said, “so these are customized shoes that I got for him.”

At the end of an 18-hour workday, Weir returns to his room where, surrounded by the blazers he discovered while skating in Paris, the shoes he stumbled on in Japan, the leather pants he was thrilled to find in Italy and all his other beautiful couture comforts, he can put his wardrobe decisions to rest. Weir, whose every waking hour is spent obsessing over form and fashion, always wears the same thing to bed.

“I find myself feeling more sexy and comfortable if I’m in the nude for sleeping,” he said.

In bed and, if different, to hangout with.

For me, bang Adam. Hang out with Johnny. Face it, Johnny is entertainment on legs...but I can’t imagine taking him and his birds’ nests to bed! Cozying up to Adam’s ass is a nice idea, just might hafta gag him if he starts talking too much. Luckily, there is more than one way to “gag” a beautiful guy. He is beautiful...

For me, bang Adam. Hang out with Johnny. Face it, Johnny is entertainment on legs...but I can’t imagine taking him and his birds’ nests to bed! Cozying up to Adam’s ass is a nice idea, just might hafta gag him if he starts talking too much. Luckily, there is more than one way to “gag” a beautiful guy. He is beautiful...

Hmm. Adam could be a mean bitch, and that could turn me on in the right mood.