Guy Fawkes vs Robert Cecil....fascinating history

Beancounter
This topic is 2311 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I’ve been watching the PBS series entitled Queen Elizabeth’s Secret Agents and was fascinated by the historical event of Guy Fawkes’ Gunpowder Plot that was foiled by Robert Cecil. Throw in the catholic priest John Gerard who masterminded the original plot to be carried out by Fawkes and you have the makings of great drama. Highly recommend this series.

I always wondered about the meaning behind the Forum’s leader here, aka Daddy. Now I know.

I’ve been watching the PBS series entitled Queen Elizabeth’s Secret Agents and was fascinated by the historical event of Guy Fawkes’ Gunpowder Plot that was foiled by Robert Cecil. Throw in the catholic priest John Gerard who masterminded the original plot to be carried out by Fawkes and you have the makings of great drama. Highly recommend this series.

I always wondered about the meaning behind the Forum’s leader here, aka Daddy. Now I know.

Remember, remember, the 5th of November

Gunpowder, treason and plot.

I see no reason why gunpowder, treason

Should ever be forgot...

I’ve been watching the PBS series entitled Queen Elizabeth’s Secret Agents and was fascinated by the historical event of Guy Fawkes’ Gunpowder Plot that was foiled by Robert Cecil. Throw in the catholic priest John Gerard who masterminded the original plot to be carried out by Fawkes and you have the makings of great drama. Highly recommend this series. I always wondered about the meaning behind the Forum’s leader here, aka Daddy. Now I know.

There were a couple earlier episodes of the series that discussed Robert Cecil's father (William) who had had the same position as Robert Cecil but who was dismissed from court when he discovered that Mary Queen of Scots (Queen Elizabeth's cousin) was plotting against the Queen. William tried to get Queen Elizabeth to sign a death warrant for Mary so that she could be executed for her part in the plot but the Queen refused to do so (probably thinking that William would carry it out any way) and she would have some sort of plausible deniability. Mary was executed and the Queen Elizabeth was allegedly livid and subsequently dismissed William from court. It is said that the Queen did not want to sign the order as it would be imply that regicide (as Mary was a queen) was OK.