The Seven Foot Patron

LaffingBear
This topic is 2285 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

While I don't care to share the personal reasons, I hadn't been to a live play or musical in over a dozen years. Always loved the theater and attended frequently, often extended business trips to NYC for extra days to see shows.

Returned to theater world last night. Scored a 10th row center orchestra ticket for Book of Mormon in San Francisco. Very enthusiastically took my seat.

Then a guy, at least 6'8" with football player shoulders, sat down immediately in front of me. His head literally blocked my view of about one-third of the stage. I enjoyed the show, but spent the performance shifting left and right in my seat just to see. Folded up my coat and sat on it for an extra inch or two height. And, I'm 6'0" with short legs - sit tall. Although I heard no muttering, I'm guessing my actions had an effect on the patron behind me.

And so, I wonder, do any experienced theater-goers have similar experiences, or tips for not letting a human view-obstruction affect their enjoyment?

This is not an isolated problem. The older theaters in NY -- and obviously, in other cities -- have terrible sight lines. I was at the renovated City Center last Saturday, and it was a pleasure. The orchestra seats were exactly where they should be. If I had your problem with this huge person in front of me, I would have asked the usher for a different seat -- if possible. For what you paid, you are entitled to an unobstructed view. Failing that, I would have asked the manager for a refund -- and I wouldn't be too confident of obtaining one.

Many movie theaters have tiered seating -- God bless them!