Do Spas take a share of the tips?

EVdude
This topic is 2284 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Curious incident... I had a great massage at an NYC spa. Both the spa and masseur are extensively discussed in the thread “Spas in NYC”. The massage was 90 minutes. I gave the owner at the front desk $100. He gave me back $10 change. I took the $10 bill, added it to three $20 bills and gave the $70 tip to the masseur. Standing in the hall way after I left, I hear the owner ask the masseur “He gave you $30?” The masseur answers “Yes. $30”. That’s all I heard.

Curious about the owner asking, about the masseur hiding the real amount and whether he had to share any portion with the owner?

I won’t be happy if this is indeed the practice. Any insights?

I don’t know the spa you visited but I have asked masseurs I have become friends with if they had to share tips. The answer is always “No”. I always make a practice of placing the tip directly with the masseur. I always fold the money so the denomination of the bills is not easily seen.

The different Korean spas where I have half of my massages at provide an envelope with the masseurs name on it for you to tip and leave in a slot box on the counter when you leave. The masseur, at some other Korean spas, will find you in the locker room and hand you an envelope which I either take for when I leave or tip him cash at that time. Sharing tips is not customary at Korean spas. Not sure how others handle it.