The Post

LoveNDino
This topic is 2347 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Spielberg

Streep

Hanks

I CAN'T WAIT!

The NBR announced today the 2017 winners of the National Board of Review Awards, naming The Post the best film of 2017. Tom Hanks and Meryl Streep both took home best acting nods for their work in the film.

The National Board of Review award winners are chosen by a group of film enthusiasts, filmmakers, professionals, academics and students of varying ages and backgrounds. Last year, Manchester by the Sea was named Best Film, while Moonlight took home the awards for Best Director and Best Supporting Actress.

Best Film: The Post (2017)

Best Director: Greta Gerwig — Lady Bird (2017)

Best Actor: Tom Hanks —The Post (2017)

Best Actress: Meryl Streep—The Post (2017)

Best Supporting Actor: Willem Dafoe—The Florida Project (2017)

Best Supporting Actress: Laurie Metcalf—Lady Bird (2017)

Best Original Screenplay: Paul Thomas Anderson—Phantom Thread (2017)

Best Adapted Screenplay: Scott Neustadter & Michael H. Weber—The Disaster Artist (2017)

Best Animated Feature: Coco (2017)

Breakthrough Performance: Timothée Chalamet—Call Me by Your Name (2017)

Best Directorial Debut: Jordan Peele—Get Out (2017)

Best Foreign Language Film: Foxtrot (2018)

Best Documentary: Jane (2017)

Best Ensemble: Get Out (2017)

Spotlight Award: Patty Jenkins and Gal Gadot—Wonder Woman (2017)

NBR Freedom of Expression Award: First They Killed My Father (2017) and Let It Fall: LA 1982-1992 (2017)

• 4 weeks later...

The other thread, about The Shape of Water, offers an important comment how important that movie is in light of the age we are living in today.

For me The Post is important for that same reason. IMO 65% of the country needs to see The Post as a reminder of the importance of freedom of the press and how dangerous when our leaders lie to us.

I agree with OC. I just returned from seeing this movie; I loved every minute of it! As I walked home, I was thinking that my Trumpenik friends should see it (which I'm sure they won't), as they might learn something about the value of a free press, especially when it exposes the misdeeds of our government, whether a present administration, or past ones.

At the end of the movie, they quote from Justice Hugo Black's opinion, where he says that the First Amendment exists to protect the governed, not the governors.

And the closing scene is priceless!

This movie deals with only some of the lies about Vietnam. Inexcusable as they were, the lies told by the Americans were relatively small beer.

It was our Communist enemies who told the big lie — that war was a struggle for liberation by Vietnam’s noble comrades, who took on the Americans with pitchforks. What hooey.

The truth is that the war was a conquest of free South Vietnam by a well-armed, Soviet-backed regime in the north. At the end, the enemy emerged from the jungles with tanks and surface-to-air missiles.

The Pentagon Papers disclosed that our own leaders, in effect, refused to heed evidence that we would lose the war — and sent our troops anyway. “The Post” seems to buy into this theory. Yet it wasn’t sending troops that turned out to be the error.

Rather, it was assuming we couldn’t win. On the ground in Vietnam, our GIs did just that. In the most famous battle, Tet in 1968, our soldiers trounced the Communists. The cause of free Vietnam was betrayed in the US Congress, which had been turned by the anti-war movement.