ASL in movies, one in particular

gallahadesquire
This topic is 2363 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

There was a movie about a very odd family ... at least one gay couple, a deaf person (who I think was one of the couple), a broke brother, and a dying mother ... the usual Holiday Feelgood movie.

At any rate, there's a long sequence at (?) Thanksgiving (?) dinner, where people are talking, and they're all signing at the same time.

Three questions:

1. What's the movie's name?
  2. Who is in the cast?
  3. What are they saying in ASL at dinner?

I don't understand ASL, but I've had a suspicion that what they're signing has little or nothing to do with what's being said.

HELP!

There was a movie about a very odd family ... at least one gay couple, a deaf person (who I think was one of the couple), a broke brother, and a dying mother ... the usual Holiday Feelgood movie.

At any rate, there's a long sequence at (?) Thanksgiving (?) dinner, where people are talking, and they're all signing at the same time.

Three questions:

1. What's the movie's name?
  2. Who is in the cast?
  3. What are they saying in ASL at dinner?

I don't understand ASL, but I've had a suspicion that what they're signing has little or nothing to do with what's being said.

HELP!

1. The Family Stone

2. Diane Keaton, Sarah Jessica Parker, Dermot Mulroney, Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, among others

3. I think we just got hit. Twice.

By the way, it was Christmas dinner.

That dialogue hit on a lot of stuff. Nurture vs. nature. One of the brothers signed to the deaf dude he is not special. Then another brother claimed that the mother really hoped all the sons would turn out gay. There was some joke about the gay gene and window treatments. Diane Keaton admitted the nature vs. nurture idea was obviously disproved by the window treatments at the Stone house.

That dialogue hit on a lot of stuff. Nurture vs. nature. One of the brothers signed to the deaf dude he is not special. Then another brother claimed that the mother really hoped all the sons would turn out gay. There was some joke about the gay gene and window treatments. Diane Keaton admitted the nature vs. nurture idea was obviously disproved by the window treatments at the Stone house.

...and the climax was Diane Keaton throwing her fork across the deaf son's plate to get his attention, while she signed to him. I love you and you are more important than any other asshole sitting at this table.

Last year this played on Bravo which cut the scene but this week it showed on another channel and the whole scene was left in. :D

I like that movie. Alot.

I dont know if it was considered either a critical or box office success.

I thought it was interesting that, in a recent televised tribute to Diane Keaton, they mentioned or showed clips from almost every other movie she's made, but no mention of her appearance in Family Stone.

• 3 weeks later...
I like that movie. Alot.

I dont know if it was considered either a critical or box office success.

I thought it was interesting that, in a recent televised tribute to Diane Keaton, they mentioned or showed clips from almost every other movie she's made, but no mention of her appearance in Family Stone.

The cast is great.

The movie made money per IMDB.

Roger Ebert was one of the more generous critics. I always resonated with his reviews, especially when a movie had LGBT characters. A lot of straight male critics are just treading water at best around movies with gay male characters as if they have some mission to explain why the gay characters are there, to get it, yet their critique of gays always sounds as if these characters are some kind of zoo animals that landed in the middle of things. I miss Ebert.

I remember other critics were luke warm to The Family Stone, but for me the movie was endearing.

I watch it every year when it's on during the holidays.