Anyone Affected By Suicide?

Avalon
This topic is 1552 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Agree!!! It grieves me deeply anytime this is said (ie the “permanent solution to a temporary problem,” or it being the “most selfish act.”) Unfortunately the statement, though well-meaning by most, is usually said out of ignorance and with disregard to those who are close to that situation. There are a multitude of reasons one makes the choice. Nearly all I’ve ever known were not out of selfishness...if you really knew the person at least, and had an idea of what the circumstances were. People say dumb/ignorant things all the time...I sure do, but on this issue, people struggle for explanations and answers that they will never have, and it lends itself to a lot of speculation and “one size fits all” statements.

So true. And for some one suffering from depression it’s often not so much a choice as an impulse not unlike the impulse that motivates a hero to dive in front of an approaching train to save someone in peril.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I survived the plague years and I lost many friends to that plague, it wasn't a pretty way to go especially the first decade. Most would have been grateful for an early out.

Agree!!! It grieves me deeply anytime this is said (ie the “permanent solution to a temporary problem,” or it being the “most selfish act.”) Unfortunately the statement, though well-meaning by most, is usually said out of ignorance and with disregard to those who are close to that situation. There are a multitude of reasons one makes the choice. Nearly all I’ve ever known were not out of selfishness...if you really knew the person at least, and had an idea of what the circumstances were. People say dumb/ignorant things all the time...I sure do, but on this issue, people struggle for explanations and answers that they will never have, and it lends itself to a lot of speculation and “one size fits all” statements.

I had a younger relative kill himself by alcoholism recently. I've learned a great deal from talking to many people. He's likely used alcohol to medicate himself for many years of struggle in a brutally difficult job in a part of the country forgotten by the prosperous urban communities. He's survived by his kids and his ex. I have spent weeks talking to people, piecing things together. Our nation is more precarious than ever for everyone who isn't a "winner" in the top 10% or higher. Things will get worse until we get real about inequality and mental/physical healthcare.

The thing about mental issues like depression, alcoholism, or any other chronic mental issues is how they affect people's perception. Perception is reality and these kinds of challenges twist perceived reality. We can never know what someone in such a situation was feeling, percieving, and thinking. All we can know is that they made what they thought was the right decision in the moment. We have to live with it and move forward. We cannot help the dead, but we can help the living.

I had a younger relative kill himself by alcoholism recently. I've learned a great deal from talking to many people. He's likely used alcohol to medicate himself for many years of struggle in a brutally difficult job in a part of the country forgotten by the prosperous urban communities. He's survived by his kids and his ex. I have spent weeks talking to people, piecing things together. Our nation is more precarious than ever for everyone who isn't a "winner" in the top 10% or higher. Things will get worse until we get real about inequality and mental/physical healthcare.

The thing about mental issues like depression, alcoholism, or any other chronic mental issues is how they affect people's perception. Perception is reality and these kinds of challenges twist perceived reality. We can never know what someone in such a situation was feeling, percieving, and thinking. All we can know is that they made what they thought was the right decision in the moment. We have to live with it and move forward. We cannot help the dead, but we can help the living.

My condolences to you ?