Clifton Webb

Avalon
This topic is 2411 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Clifton Webb and his mother, Mabelle, were the subject for one of Noel Coward's most well-known quotes. A cruel comment though. I am quoting Coward because my mother also died at age 91, and, unlike Webb, I knew she was not going to live forever.

"As Webb and Coward grew older, so did Mabelle. Finally, Mabelle died at the age of 91. Webb was consumed with grief at the loss of his mother, who he had lived with for his entire life, and he carried his inconsolable grief everywhere he went for the rest of his life. One of Coward’s famous quotes rose from Webb’s grief.

According to Graham Payn, when Coward called Webb from Jamaica after Mabelle’s death, Webb spent so much time on the phone saying nothing and letting out racking sobs, that the only way Coward could calm him down by threatening to reverse the charges. When he hung up the phone, Payn says the Coward turned to him and said, “You realize this makes Clifton the worlds oldest, living orphan.”"

Archived