Those who differ with us

Boston Guy
This topic is 6923 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

It's fascinating that so many people cannot simply disagree with someone. Instead, they have to try to tear down the person, trying to diminish him in various ways. It's not enough to attack his opinion; instead they have to try to establish that he must somehow be inferior as a person.

Instead of saying exactly why they disagree with his opinion and leaving it at that for others to make up their own minds, they have to try to destroy their opponents.

People who disagree with them become "old" and "fat"; they become "dirty old men"; they become "bitter old queens"; they become "liars" and "hypocrites"; they become "fat old fairies"; they become "wh-res", "cunts" and "pigs".

I wonder if the people writing this nonsense really think that others respect them for writing it? I wonder if they really think they make themselves look good? I wonder if they are so unsure of their own opinions that they are unwilling to allow them to stand on their own, feeling a need to attack the character of any who dare to oppose them in an attempt to ward off attacks on the "truths" they utter?

And I wonder about the character of people who view what they have to say with such utter seriousness that they are willing -- no, eager -- to try to publicly humiliate those who disagree with them. Small-minded is too kind a description; the small-minded don't know what they do. Unkind is too mild.

Instead, there's a kind of vicious pathology at work. Reading what they write shows an eagerness to cut down and wound other people. Their writing is like that of a thirteen year-old who is trying to impress the other little boys around him by talking dirty. Somehow, reaching adulthood has not been accompanied by any of the maturity, dignity, kindness and respect for others that is normally associated with being a well-rounded, intelligent member of society. It's been replaced instead with the kind of thinking that makes some little boys like to torture frogs and other small animals.

People who write these things like to think that it's ok to write whatever they feel like writing, no matter the impact on others, because it amuses them. The impact on others is of no concern to them. Or they fall back on the spineless argument so often used throughout history: "You made me do it." There's no real taking of responsibility for one's own actions; no real admission that one's statements and actions were not "forced" by any other person but rather came from oneself, through acts of free will. No other person forced them to write what they wrote or reveal what they revealed; no, these are actions of theirs alone and they alone are responsible for them. Mature adults walk away from situations they do not like; they do not engage in childish shouting matches and then say "You made me do it! It's your fault."

BG

> Somehow, reaching adulthood has not been

>accompanied by any of the maturity, dignity, kindness and

>respect for others that is normally associated with being a

>well-rounded, intelligent member of society. It's been

>replaced instead with the kind of thinking that makes some

>little boys like to torture frogs and other small animals.

Yes, isn't it awful when people respond to those they disagree with by making insulting remarks about their personal qualities, such as their maturity, character and intelligence? Obviously you would never even consider doing anything like that. Right? :)

>Mature adults walk away from situations

>they do not like; they do not engage in childish shouting

>matches and then say "You made me do it! It's your fault."

Why don't you try practicing what you preach? Who knows, if you ever do, some people may decide to follow your example.

Archived