Call Me By Your Name

LoveNDino
This topic is 1897 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Roger,

There are several versions of the French show on Youtube; at least one of them has good English subtitles. One of the videos lasts 23 minutes, so I don't know how long the guys actually talked, but it was quite a while. One factoid for me was that the original script was to be bilingual, Italian and English, but when "they" realized Timmy could speak French, they added French to the mixture. I'm not sure who made the decision: Luca? Mr. Spears? One of the other producers? I don't think it was Ivory.

• Replies 522
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are several versions of the French show on Youtube; at least one of them has good English subtitles.

The version I saw had good subtitles, but I preferred keeping my eyes on the boys. I love to watch them interact with each other. But I also wanted to read the English translation, so it was a challenge to stay focused.

they added French to the mixture. I'm not sure who made the decision: Luca?

I read it was Luca's decision. Timothée wasn't the only French-speaking actor cast. Esther Garrel, who plays his female friend, is French. A discussion around making the family more "European" occurred. I'm sure there was additional discussion about the potential for more ticket sales if they added French language to the mix. Hence, promoting the film in France.

Edited by rogerG

The movie rights were optioned around 10 years ago. I wonder if the $$ amount could be found on line, or is that too proprietary for the parties to publish?

Gross is now $14.25 million. $10 M+ domestic and $4.25 million foreign.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=intl&id=callmebyyourname.htm

I checked online and the budget for "Call Me By Your Name" was $3.5 million! By comparison, last year's best picture, "Moonlight", had a budget of only $1.5 million!!! The thing about CMBYN is that you can pretty well see (and hear!) every bit of its budget on the screen. Luca Guadagnino even explained that the waterfall near Bergamo toward the end of the film was not a natural falls but instead a release of water from a dam, so he and the actors and crew had to lug all of their equipment (Armie said everyone involved in filming that scene helped carry it) uphill to that location, and shoot it in only one take for the $7,000 dollars the dam required to release the floodgates for a short period of time!

I hope the fact that this film earned back almost four times its budget in 3 months of release, so far, will open the way for more films of this caliber in the future, including any sequels Guadagnino may decide to make! I feel like CMBYN is historic for bringing an (exciting young) actor of Timothée Chalamet's talent to the attention of movie goers! Including his character in Ladybird, he is obviously also gifted with a very impressive range as an actor, too! I believe (and hope) that the role of Oliver in this film proves once and for all that Armie Hammer (I realize there are a number of naysayers about his acting talent!) has begun to fulfill the promise he first displayed as the Winklevoss twins in "The Social Network!"

Gearing up to see CMBYN a fourth time next week!!!

TruHart1 :cool:

Edited by TruHart1

For the time being at least the complete soundtrack...etc.

...And so is the complete audiobook at 7 hours 45 min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9g-Ig1-Wxk

SPOILERS FOR THE COMPLETE AUDIO BOOK (pertaining to the Youtube above, read by Armie Hammer):

A note for anyone who might listen to the complete book on the above Youtube link: that recording has a lot of what I can only describe as 'electronic stuttering' throughout its 7 hour 44 minute or so running time and the very last line (the very end of the book!) is truncated so "[gaze], and call me by your name." is missing! I listened to this particular Youtube version first, before I ordered the Audible.com audio book online, though I had already read the actual book so I could look up the final line in my 'hard copy' after hearing the line cut out on my first listening.

SPOILERS FOR THE COMPLETE AUDIO BOOK (pertaining to the Youtube above, read by Armie Hammer):

A note for anyone who might listen to the complete book on the above Youtube link: that recording has a lot of what I can only describe as 'electronic stuttering' throughout its 7 hour 44 minute or so running time and the very last line (the very end of the book!) is truncated so "[gaze], and call me by your name." is missing! I listened to this particular Youtube version first, before I ordered the Audible.com audio book online, though I had already read the actual book so I could look up the final line in my 'hard copy' after hearing the line cut out on my first listening.

The audio book is worth the spend IMO. Armie Hammer is great!

The thing about CMBYN is that you can pretty well see (and hear!) every bit of its budget on the screen.

I'm not sure I can completely agree with that. The film is a modest effort. Their lack of money shows, but it keeps the film more real and grounded. Less like a typical, over-produced Nancy Meyer/Hollywood fairytale. The difference between cost of CMBYN and Moonlight could easily be calculated in the exchange rate.

very happy watching this scene and it has stuck with me

The dance scene stuck with me, too. Sometimes it's difficult to stop the song from playing in my head. I remember falling in love with a few guys by watching them dance on the dance floor. In my youth, went dancing almost every weekend. It's a brief but pivotal moment in the film for Elio, who moves with such sensual fluidity. You really can tell a lot about a person by the way he dances. Watching Armie grimace every time he talks about making the dance scene reminds me of all the tall guys I've known who felt totally awkward on a dance floor. I thought Armie did a great job disguising his extreme discomfort.

I checked online and the budget for "Call Me By Your Name" was $3.5 million! By comparison, last year's best picture, "Moonlight", had a budget of only $1.5 million!!! The thing about CMBYN is that you can pretty well see (and hear!) every bit of its budget on the screen. Luca Guadagnino even explained that the waterfall near Bergamo toward the end of the film was not a natural falls but instead a release of water from a dam, so he and the actors and crew had to lug all of their equipment (Armie said everyone involved in filming that scene helped carry it) uphill to that location, and shoot it in only one take for the $7,000 dollars the dam required to release the floodgates for a short period of time!

I hope the fact that this film earned back almost four times its budget in 3 months of release, so far, will open the way for more films of this caliber in the future, including any sequels Guadagnino may decide to make! I feel like CMBYN is historic for bringing an (exciting young) actor of Timothée Chalamet's talent to the attention of movie goers! Including his character in Ladybird, he is obviously also gifted with a very impressive range as an actor, too! I believe (and hope) that the role of Oliver in this film proves once and for all that Armie Hammer (I realize there are a number of naysayers about his acting talent!) has begun to fulfill the promise he first displayed as the Winklevoss twins in "The Social Network!"

Gearing up to see CMBYN a fourth time next week!!!

So, between you and @OCClient, this movie has become profitable ;)

January 31, 2018

Call Me by Your Name has won five Dorian Awards:

http://highlighthollywood.com/2018/01/dorian-awards-call-me-by-your-name-hailed-as-film-of-the-year-big-little-lies-wins-in-tv-complete-winners-list/

Call Me by Your Name has been named

FILM OF THE YEAR by GALECA: The Society of LGBTQ Entertainment Critics, which is comprised of more than 200 gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and entertainment journalists in the U.S. Canada and the U.K.

BEST PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR – ACTOR

Timothée Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name

SUPPORTING FILM PERFORMANCE OF THE YEAR – ACTOR

Michael Stuhlbarg, Call Me By Your Name

LGBTQ FILM OF THE YEAR

Call Me By Your Name

‘WE’RE WILDE ABOUT YOU!’ RISING STAR AWARD

Timothée Chalamet

call-me-by-my-name.jpg

From Indiewire back in December of 2017:

Pedro Almodóvar Names ‘Call Me by Your Name’ the Best Film of 2017: ‘Timothée Chalamet is the Revelation of the Year’

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/pedro-almodovar-reviews-call-me-by-your-name-best-film-timothee-chalamet-1201909184/

http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/screen-shot-2017-12-19-at-1-30-36-pm1.png?w=706

From Indiewire back in December of 2017:

Pedro Almodóvar Names ‘Call Me by Your Name’ the Best Film of 2017: ‘Timothée Chalamet is the Revelation of the Year’

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/12/pedro-almodovar-reviews-call-me-by-your-name-best-film-timothee-chalamet-1201909184/

http://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/screen-shot-2017-12-19-at-1-30-36-pm1.png?w=706

Thanks for sharing that TruHart1.

Glad to hear these acclamations because CMBYN deserves it.

Award shows are such an enigma, so in that context our beloved movie might be left in the dust at the Oscars. The sequel will not let it be forgotten though!

Saw the film for the first time this week. For me the movie belong to Elio's character and Timothee Chalamet's acting.

Agreed. He’s riveting. The much-discussed Michael Stuhlbarg end-speech is also wonderfully played. (I also liked Vanda Capriolo, whose Mafalda is one of those unsung small parts that gives a movie credibility.)

I also enjoyed the “blue shirt” imagery at the end, which is in the book but reads, in the film, as an homage to the final, heart-wrenching scene of “Brokeback Mountain,” released two years before the book was published. The difference: Elio’s blue shirt is “out of the closet,” unlike Jack’s, which the tragic Ennis wraps around his own shirt and puts back in the trailer’s closet as a profoundly wrenching memory of life lost. Elio, by contrast, wraps Oliver’s blue shirt around himself. He’s living his life openly.

Edited by Kenny

Saw this for the 6th time, I think. Can I say again how refreshing to see gay characters onscreen who are not depressed, persecuted, suicidal or addicted to drugs or alcohol? Instead, they are intelligent (intellectuals even) fully fleshed out characters. In a fair world, TC should be a lock for Best Actor but his youth and Hollywood's still remaining aversion to gay characters could work against him. Really bummed AH, MS, LG and their cinematographer were snubbed. The directors of CMBYN and 3 Billboards should have been nominated. They are victims of the "diversity" thing going on in Hollywood. IMO.

It also makes the relationship slightly pervy. Just sayin’... :eek:

I think Oliver was aware of the "perviness" when he told Elio "I don't want you to regret anything or MESS YOU UP in any way." But being the older (and wiser) party, he was also aware that this experience would only help Elio grow up to be a well adjusted emotionally healthy human being. My 2 cents :)

I think Oliver was aware of the "perviness" when he told Elio "I don't want you to regret anything or MESS YOU UP in any way." But being the older (and wiser) party, he was also aware that this experience would only help Elio grow up to be a well adjusted emotionally healthy human being. My 2 cents :)

In the book, I'm convinced Oliver was concerned about a broken heart, Elio's and even his own. He admitted his fear was that Elio was up to some fun and games (even though Elio probably didn't think so) but for Oliver, it was something much deeper he was still trying to understand.

The thing that gets me about "perviness" is the world has celebrated many movies and songs where the characters were opposite sex, with one of the couple being underage. To me it's clearly a double standard how Oliver/Elio is pervy, that even the gay community will acquiesce to the idea. Not me though. I remember being 17 and desiring this teacher just out of college. I would have gone Elio on that sweet man and let him have his way with me. Desire is not dirty just because it's gay desire.

Movies like Summer of 42 and Dirty Dancing. Songs by Elvis and Billy Idol. And so on.

Saw this for the 6th time, I think. Can I say again how refreshing to see gay characters onscreen who are not depressed, persecuted, suicidal or addicted to drugs or alcohol? Instead, they are intelligent (intellectuals even) fully fleshed out characters. In a fair world, TC should be a lock for Best Actor but his youth and Hollywood's still remaining aversion to gay characters could work against him. Really bummed AH, MS, LG and their cinematographer were snubbed. The directors of CMBYN and 3 Billboards should have been nominated. They are victims of the "diversity" thing going on in Hollywood. IMO.

@OCClient and @TruHart1 - I believe we found the other person responsible for the rest of this movie's gross receipts. ;)