Cataract Surgery and the use of ORA

Guy Fawkes
This topic is 1309 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I've been diagnosed with Cataracts in both eyes. Because I've had Radial keratotomies (RK) in the past the surgeon is recommending the use of Optiwave Refractive Analysis (ORA) during the procedure at an added cost of $500/eye. That puts over budget enough that I only have enough reserves to cover doing one eye.

Then my big head kicked in and said: "Why wouldn't they use ORA routinely if it improves the results of the operation?" Then I found this: "Impact of ORA on Refractive Cataract Surgery and the Premium Channel Offering" which is making me wonder if I'm being sold snake oil.

Any experts in the crowd that can shine some light on the subject?

Edited by Guy Fawkes

I've been diagnosed with Cataracts in both eyes. Because I've had Radial keratotomies (RK) in the past the surgeon is recommending the use of Optiwave Refractive Analysis (ORA) during the procedure at an added cost of $500/eye. That puts over budget enough that I only have enough reserves to cover doing one eye.

Then my big head kicked in and said: "Why wouldn't they use ORA routinely if it improves the results of the operation?" Then I found this: "Impact of ORA on Refractive Cataract Surgery and the Premium Channel Offering" which is making me wonder if I'm being sold snake oil.

I had to have a cataract removed from one of my eyes and used ora. (i also had rk and many other alphabet soup of vision surgeries done) i would recommend it 1000000%. Who are you going through? I went with debry and jackson. I dont remember my ORA being 500. Mine was more along the 250.00 route...hmm then again i only needed it in one eye.

• 3 years later...

I read the article and noted that the copyright date was 2003. I am covered through Kaiser, and they do not offer any kind of

laser-assited regular cataract surgery about 4 years ago. My immediate outcome was great. A year later, I did have one significant floater in each eye. There was nothing to be done, but there were no signs of retinal detachment.

At the end of may, the vision in my left eye became fuzzier and as if there were a slight grey scrim over everything.

I thought it might be what many call a "secondary cataract", where the bag that holds the lens becomes cloudy.

I mentioned it in my annual check in July, and my primary care doctor said that I would have to see an Optometrist(!)

before having a consultation with an opthalmologist, but they were not allowing any at the time due to the upswing in

covid-19 cases. A week ago, I decided that with that spike diminishing, I would try again; called up optometry for an

appointment, and they said just to call opthamology directly. A physician gave me a phone consult, agreed with me that

it was probably a secondary cataract, and scheduled a procedure just to be done just yesterday.

It took 20 minutes to dilate my eyes, 10 minutes for the doctor to examine both, and see if anything else was going on,

5 minutes to walk from the examination room to a different room a floor up which had a YAG laser, and about 3 minutes

to blast the rear wall clear. Today the vision in my left eye is every bit as good as after my eyes settled down after

the initial cataract surgery 4 years ago.

That hardly makes me an expert. I'm only offering anecdotal evidence that even traditional methods work well,

but that in some cases complications may arise.

It would appear that I'm having the same problem.

I read the article and noted that the copyright date was 2003. I am covered through Kaiser, and they do not offer any kind of

laser-assited regular cataract surgery about 4 years ago. My immediate outcome was great. A year later, I did have one significant floater in each eye. There was nothing to be done, but there were no signs of retinal detachment.

At the end of may, the vision in my left eye became fuzzier and as if there were a slight grey scrim over everything.

I thought it might be what many call a "secondary cataract", where the bag that holds the lens becomes cloudy.

I mentioned it in my annual check in July, and my primary care doctor said that I would have to see an Optometrist(!)

before having a consultation with an opthalmologist, but they were not allowing any at the time due to the upswing in

covid-19 cases. A week ago, I decided that with that spike diminishing, I would try again; called up optometry for an

appointment, and they said just to call opthamology directly. A physician gave me a phone consult, agreed with me that

it was probably a secondary cataract, and scheduled a procedure just to be done just yesterday.

It took 20 minutes to dilate my eyes, 10 minutes for the doctor to examine both, and see if anything else was going on,

5 minutes to walk from the examination room to a different room a floor up which had a YAG laser, and about 3 minutes

to blast the rear wall clear. Today the vision in my left eye is every bit as good as after my eyes settled down after

the initial cataract surgery 4 years ago.

That hardly makes me an expert. I'm only offering anecdotal evidence that even traditional methods work well,

but that in some cases complications may arise.

Glad I found this thread. I had RK done in 98. Developing cataracts in both eyes that need to to be removed in the next couple years thanks to being a Type 1 diabetic for almost 40 years (fortunately no retinopathy or any other complications). Was never told that having RK would effect the type of surgery I need.