Portland, OR - Stag PDX

Club's Name: Stag PDX

Address: 317 NW Broadway, Portland, OR 97209

Phone #: 971.407.3132

Hours: Open 'til 2am every night o the week. Start @ 7pm Mon/Tues, 5 Wed/Thur, 3pm Fri/Sat, and 11am Sun

Cover charge: none on weekdays, there might be one on weekends

Type of Club: A gay bar with gogo dancers who are permitted to get naked but almost never do

Type of dancers: Mostly hunks, with some twinks. On one visit, I recognized 2 or 3 Sean Cody models

Description of Club: There are two long skinny well-appointed rooms. Both sides have a bar but only one side has a stage.

I want to like this place more, but I don't. It feels like a gay bar that was designed by straight men. The place goes out of its way to make straight women feel comfortable there, and there are always lots of straight girls when I've been there. The dancers are mostly straight guys, and I always get the impression they want to make their heterosexuality clear. Although nudity is permitted at bars in Portland and this place is sometimes called a strip club, I spent almost 2 hours here on a Friday and didn't see a single penis. (With the exception of a glimpse or two while I was tipping.)

There is a lapdance area in the annex and each chair can be surrounded by curtains, but there are (allegedly) cameras so the managers can watch. During my lapdance, the dancer told me about a guy who'd been fired for going "too far." The lap dance price was $20 per song.

That said, the dancers and the rest of the staff are very hot, and the place has more upscale decor than some of the other gay bars in town. If you like the idea of male dancers, but you're intimidated about viewing them in a space where gay men feel comfortable being naughty, then this might be a good starter bar for you.

Archived