Safari Passwords on a Mac

tanman4u
This topic is 2703 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

This would probably be more relevant on the Tech forum but that one isn't as active and I kinda need help a bit quicker.

I have to get some work done on my MacBook. A kid (by my standards, he's in his 20's) that works partime for us is pretty good and I trust him to do the work that is needed BUT, even though my password to access my MacBook is pretty convoluted I will have to give it to him so that he can do the work and check on everything, BUT that password is all that is needed to get into the Safari preferences which will then show ALL the saved passwords for the many sites that I use. I've gone ahead and removed the ones from this site, and A4A, and Rentmen, etc., etc., but there are lots of others that, while not prurient by nature are still ones I'd rather he not see and have access to.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can protect those from his view without removing them all and having to reload them all back?

Well Dr. Google figured it out for me. Turns out you can change the password for Keychain to be different from the main password for the computer (in case anyone else is wondering about this).

I discovered the same re my MacBookPro which made life WAY easier every time Geek Squad came over and worked on it lol. They BTW are now just as profecient as the Apple Store where I always dreaded leaving my laptop, used to be w Gsquad they only had special techs who knew Macs but now they are ALL profeciant, 99.00$ they come to you and almost always can fix the prob and once when it was my wifi and not the laptop they didn't charge me for the visit. (guess it depends on where u live but here in Manhattan they come the same day)

By the way... for situations like this, it might be better to use a different application such as OnePassword to store passwords. It can store them encrypted and be totally separate from the OS.

It also has iPhone app and can sync passwords across devices.

The best practice is to set up a separate user account for each person who uses your computer. This can easily be done with Preferences > Users and Groups. Then, put any files that you both need to access in a shared folder. Each user will then have their own "walled garden" and won't be able to access each others files, settings, preferences, etc.

Sharing your passwords is never a good idea.

macOS stores files and applications in one of two places, the computer's hard drive (root directory) or inside the User's folder.

If you move the documents needed by both you and your assistant into the same folders inside the hard drive from inside your tanman4u user's folder, you will be making these documents universally available to said assistant when you set up a second user on your computer. You can be the "Administrator" of the computer and he can have a "Standard" account with a different password. He will be able to open any applications inside the hard drive and any files in the hard drive's document's folder, but he will not be able to open your tanman4u User folder, where all of your private information is being held under your password.

This also adds security for you because a Standard account cannot update, delete, or move any of the system, apps, files and documents not in his user folder.

macOS allows multiple User folders that are separate, private, and password protected. Administrators can access all Users. But Standard Users cannot change anything except what's inside their user folder. The universally used applications held in the hard drive's Applications folder and Documents folder are available for all. Apps, Documents, passwords held in your user folder are available to you only.

I'd suggest you make an appointment at an Apple Store's Genius Bar and describe to the Genius just what you want to do: Separate User for Assistant, shared apps and files for both of you to access. He can show you how to do it all.

My problem is that I need him to have Admin level capabilities to be able to check whatever he needs to fix the hardware issues (spilled beverage on the keyboard keeping a few keys from working correctly). I thought that I had it figured out by changing just the Keychain login but I can't fully log-in without using that new password which defeats the purpose in the first place.

An untested suggestion-

1. Go to User>Library>Keychains

2. Copy the folder with the alphanumeric name and the file named login.keychain to a thumb drive, then delete the folder and file

3. Allow the tech guy to work on your MacBook

4. When the computer is returned, drag the folder and file from the thumb drive back to User>Library>Keychains

Your Mac should warn you if deleting the folder or file is not advised.

If you set up a separate user account with Admin capabilities, you'll still be a little better off than just letting him use your account and password. With Admin capabilities, it is possible for him to snoop around your private files, but it will take intentional effort; he won't just accidentally stumble upon your personal information, bookmarks, browser history, etc.

Well as it turned out the kid that was going to work on it decided it was way beyond his capabilities so it looks like a trip to an Apple store in the states is in order whenever I head that way again. Thanks for all the suggestions and Happy New Year.

Archived