Great Movie via Internet (link to nude pics)

BSR
This topic is 2741 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I realize that movies in Spanish without subtitles have a fairly narrow appeal on this board, but if even one of the dozen (half-dozen?) Spanish speakers here watches it, it's worth my while to post. I just finished watching "El padre de Cain", a TV movie from Spain. Before you roll your eyes at a recommendation for a TV movie, trust me, this one soars above the genre.

The lead character Eloy is a "guardia civil" (not really a direct equivalent here in the U.S.; an FBI agent comes closest, but it's not the same thing) who is sent from Madrid to San Sebastian in 1980, the worst year for Basque terrorist attacks. ETA, the Basque terrorist group, is out of control, killing almost 100 that year. Eloy leaves behind in Madrid a very pregnant wife who is confined to bed rest due to complications in the pregnancy. Eloy's family situation just adds to the stress of dealing with a very difficult and dangerous case in a city, San Sebastian, that is unknown to him. I won't give away any spoilers, but his stint in the Basque Country is successful, and Eloy heads back to Madrid. About 20 minutes before the end, you can figure out everything that's going to happen, or at least I could. Normally, that means the movie is disgustingly predictable, but in this case, it's more a sense of looming inevitability. You know what will happen because it's what has to happen.

Quim Gutierrez, the actor who plays Eloy, isn't going to be everybody's cup of tea ("sobre el gusto no hay nada escrito"), but I think he's fucking HAWT!! There were a few sex scenes in the first and middle thirds of the movie, but they were frustrating as hell because they didn't show a bit of what you could tell was a rockin' body. When you do finally see his beautiful physique in the final sex scene, it's not only worth the wait, but you understand why they kept that gorgeous body hidden in the prior scenes.

I am blown away that such a quality production was a TV movie. I've seen a couple other TV movies from Spain, but not of this caliber. It's a two-parter, Part 1 is 75 minutes, and Part 2 is 90. 3+ hours to watch a TV movie sounds like a nutty proposition during the busy holiday season (or any time of the year, really), but believe me, "El padre de Cain" is worth the investment.

PS: there are some commercials, but you only have to suffer through 10-15 seconds of them before skipping past. Note that the "skip" button is in the top-right corner even though it says "skip" in the bottom right.

Archived