RIP Florence Henderson, Brady Bunch Mom. Dead of heart failure at 82

TruHart1
This topic is 2743 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Florence Henderson had a significant Broadway career as well, but she's best know in the theater as the star of the first road company production of the "The Sound of Music." She also starred in Lincoln Center productions of other musicals, especially "South Pacific."

Her Broadway shows: "Fanny" with Ezio Pinza and "The Girl Who Came to Supper," which I believe was written by Noel Coward.

I always remember her from "The Bell Telephone Hour" where she was a frequent guest star. An L.A. Entertainment reporter said she had a rough childhood, and Florence would sing on street corners to raise money so they could buy groceries. She was also on the "Today" show as the Today Girl. Here is a little clip of her singing "It's Almost Like Being in Love" from Brigadoon.

In loving tribute. (Very sincerely.)

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/ladies-man-the-skanks-cold-open/2869231

Season 25: Episode 20 cold open

The Ladies' Man

Leon Phelps.....Tim Meadows

Brandy Lane.....Sarah Michelle Geller

Wilma Slotsin.....Gina Gershon

.....Florence Henderson

Leon Phelps: I'm Leon Phelps, and welcome to "The Ladies' Man", the loveline with all the right responses to your romantic queries. How y'all doin'? That is good. I'm doin' fine, I got my bottle of Courvoisier right here. Hey, you know what? I am in a very relaxed mood, for, you see, soon the moist days of summer will be upon us. And you know what that means, don't you? It means that I, Leon Phelps, will be needing to choose a new summertime skank. Now, I have narrowed my choices down to three very charming, very talented, very skanky individuals... and tonight, we are gonna play "Who Wants To Be My Skank?" [ walks over to the set ] Alright, then. So let's meet the contestants. Contestant #1 is a bus station skank. She makes her living by selling her underwear to perverts on the Internet. Say hello to Brandy Lane.

Brandy Lane: [ walks out and sits ] Hi, Leon!

Leon Phelps: What is hapenin', Brandy? Skanktestant #2 hails from Gary, Indiana. She is currently unemployed, but is living comfortably off a settlement she won for a leaky boob implant. Say hello to Wilma Slotsin.

Wilma Slotsin: [ walks out and sits ] Hey, Leon.

Leon Phelps: Hey, hello there, Miss Slotsin! And last, but not least, contestant #3 is the host of a very popular morning show here on NBC called "Later Today". Please welcome Florence Henderson.

Florence Henderson: [ walks out and sits ] Leon, it is so nice to see you again!

Leon Phelps: It is so nice to see you, too, Flossie baby! So, ladies, are you ready to skank it up?

[ the three skanks cheer wildly ]

Florence Henderson: Let's get skanky!

Leon Phelps: Yeah! Okay, Skank #1: "If you were an article of clothing, what would you be?"

Brandy Lane: Well, Leon, I'm very warm, and very giving, and very open... so I'd probably be a pair of crotchless panties!

Leon Phelps: [ near tears ] That is so beautiful! Skank #2: "What kind of clothing would you be?"

Wilma Slotsin: Well... I'd probably be an old sneaker, because I don't mind being tied up, and I smell rank!

Leon Phelps: Ooohhhh! That is skanky! Okay, next question, Skank #3. I think it is important to think about your future, so let me ask you this: "How skanky do you think you will be in five years?"

Florence Henderson: Oh, very skanky! When the world sees what I can really do with a bottle of Wesson Oil, well... You know what, Leon? I'm gonna be able to outskank Carmen Electra!

Leon Phelps: Ooh, Miss Wessonality! That is very good. Now, Skank #2: "If you could do one thing to make this a better world, what would you do?"

Wilma Slotsin: Well.. it has always been my dream to wipe out all of the world's diseases.. but I think that I should focus mainly on the ones that itch my crotch.

Leon Phelps: Yea-heh! Listen, I'm very sorry about giving you that.

Florence Henderson: Oh, actually, Leon, I should apologize - I gave it to you first.

Leon Phelps: Listen, no apologies necessary, Flo-ho. It was worth it! Now, here's one for all of you: "Where is the most unusual place you have ever made whoopie?" Skank #1?

Brandy Lane: Hmm.. that would be in the butt.. ler's pantry.. of the Playboy Mansion!

Leon Phelps: Intriguing, yeah! Skank #2?

Wilma Slotsin: Well.. I did it once in the ass.. pen, Colorado bus station.

Leon Phelps: That is fabulous, yeah! Skank #3: "What is the most unusual place that you have ever done it?"

Florence Henderson: [ laughing ] That's easy, Leon.. right down the old Hershey Highway! Yeah, just outside of Hershey, Pennsylvania!

[ Winner's Bell rings ]

Leon Phelps: I think we have a winner! Skank #3, I am very impressed! How about a big hand for all of our skanks, everybody? Isn't that lovely? Well, that is all the time we have for "Who Wants To Be My Skank?" Ladies!

All: [ blow a kiss to the audience ] "Live, from New York, it's Saturday Night!"

I am so glad I found this Florence Henderson interview. As I would expect, Florence talks about performers she met and liked on Broadway, only occasionally mentioning herself. I saw "The Sound of Music," with Mary Martin so know why she disliked that tree on stage. It did not work for me either

Here is a clip from 1954 of a very young Florence Henderson singing " I Have to Tell You" from Fanny which she was starring in at the time with Ezio Pinza, and Walter Slezak. I love the interview clip posted by @WilliamM. When you look at this clip and realize she was starring on Broadway over 60 years ago, and worked until a couple days before her death it just amazes me.

Archived