Anna Netrebko moving into more dramatic repertoire?

TruHart1
This topic is 2745 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Here's an impressive performance of In questa reggia from Puccini's Turandot at the classical Echo Awards concert in Berlin just two weeks ago, October 9, 2016! She was presented with her eleventh Echo award, this year as "Female Singer of the Year", for her live performance as Lady Macbeth on DVD/Blu-ray from the Metropolitan Opera. The introduction (auf Deutsch) is a bit long, so if you just want to hear the aria, it begins at 1:48 on the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgdIyucBk7w

In the last few years, Madame Netrebko has been singing more dramatic Verdi roles, especially Lady Macbeth, so this makes me wonder if she plans to move into even more dramatic soprano repertoire.

TruHart1 :cool:

I'm not so sure that something as heavy as Turandot is best for her, but voices change and she seems to be finding her nitch, so possibly... Certainly the Bel Canto repertory was not her true Fach even though she improved in that area by learning how to trill and better articulate her coloratura. Still, it seemed to be always close, but no cigar in that rep. Perhaps something like the Trovatore Leonora and Lady Macbeth might be a better fit as the voice has developed a bit more substance over the past few years. Still she got through the aria, and it's good to hear a warm beautiful voice in the piece that does not contain the cold steel of say a Birgit Nilsson, but she probably should tread carefully.

She also seems to have developed a pleasingly plump appearance lately as well. Perhaps that has better supported her voice?

The first thing that I heard her in that seemed to indicate that she had potential in a more dramatic environment was the following:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OYCVRhMmaw

Archived