Where to Donate???

Spida
This topic is 7067 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

I was impressed to learn that 93 cents from every dollar donated to Unicef goes to their programs, and only 6 percent is administrative costs and one percent is writeoffs.

Does anyone have any statistics on any other organizations? Or does anyone know if these figures on the UNICEF website are accurate? As the eternal cynic I am thinking that they may be doing fuzzy math.

Any suggestions with reasons as to what would make a good place for a donation? I would like it if the majority of my donation went to help out.

Spida..

I just learned about a neat, small non-profit that is focused on kids: child adoptions, child sponsorships, and working with agencies that support kids programs. In the tsunami areas, they are working with local agencies to support kids who have lost their parents (and, boy, are there a lot of them) and families who have lost their kids.

The agency is Holt International Childrens Services, based in Eugene, Oregon (which some of you may know as the last bastion of the hippies). They've been working with kids programs for more than 50 years. The president of Holt was on Larry King a couple of days ago, which some of you may have seen. They seem to be a neat organization, one well worth supporting.

http://www.holtint.org

BG

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Edit | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Spida,

Im really glad that someone noticed this. It is important to research before donating. I worked for a community not for profit for HIV/AIDS and I was disgusted with what people did when money got donated. I would always tell people to specifically earmark their donations. We had the biggest office supplies budget Ive ever seen and at the end of the fiscal year, we would have to use it or lose it and we couldnt transfer it to any other funds.

Guest skrubber

Anyone have anyy info as to overhead costs of the American Red Cross? As in how much of donated money actually gets to the cause.

The correct url is: http://www.holtintl.org

Thanks BTW. I will check them out. I have been trying to figure out where else to donate. I was thinking Save the Children might be a good one too.

I gave some money to the International Red Cross/Red Crescent as well as CARE already. I hope people will also remember that there are lots of other people in the world who can use our help, not just tsunami victims. I have a friend who just moved to Liberia to do good work and he says the conditions there are fairly dire. Of course there are the refugees in Sudan and poor people on Indian reservations in this country who have no heat in the middle of the plains winter and the list goes on and on.

Archived