The organ

AdamSmith
This topic is 2527 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Bach's lovely 'Little' Fugue in G Minor, BWV 578. Here interestingly labeled as 'digitized from the Telefunken LP,' which I take to mean 'digitized at home.' The sound to my ear is markedly better than the 'professional' transfer to CD that I'll post just below.

The industrial-strength :rolleyes: CD version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNy6oClg784

I own both vinyl and CD of Chapuis' Bach cycle. I thought the Telefunken vinyl engineers did a faultless job of miking and recording the five (I think) very different organs that he selected to best suit the needs of the range of the assorted Bach oeuvre, which he recorded from 1968 to 1970. But the reissue on Valois CD, while not a disaster, nonetheless seemed fairly clunky. As I think shows in the above comparison. (Still searching for the year the transfer was done.)

• Replies 791
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm certainly no organ connoisseur (though St. Sulpice is a fave place in Paris), but I did hear a wonderful organ concert at Pasadena Presbyterian Church, where the pipes are highly regarded and said to rival those at Disney Hall.

http://www.ppcmusic.org/pipe-organ

Even though I live on the east coast, I just happened to be near Disney Hall the day after it opened in 2003. I joined a tour of the hall, nobody noticed or cared.

The sound was spectacular. I always planned to return when the organ was finished, but never did. Thanks for the reminder, Kenny.

To see Harnoncourt's powers of evolution, note how in sync with the above Mackerras Messiah was Harnoncourt's own Brandenberg 3 some years before his Handel reimagining.

In that performance he is absolutely in the vanguard. Entrancing to see how he can keep enlarging his imagination as shown in the later Messiah cited above.

Biographical digression. Age 18 I was an organ enthusiast but autodidact & naive.

Then one Randy Foy (today: https://www.ncsu.edu/student_center/music/bios/foy.html), whose organ performance degree from Oberlin was under (previously slightly :rolleyes: remarked Fenner Douglass), mildly suggested to me, 'Well, you might like Michel Chapuis.'

The cross-discipline thought, and understanding, and then skepticism, and then argument and mutual comprehension, was so encouraged by this Governor's School thing where I met the above-referenced Foy. It brought my entire mind to life.

Alas the organization has been so severely dumbed-down today: http://www.ncgovschool.org

Nowadays I really only enjoy historically informed Messiah performances and preferably on original instruments. Of course last year I attended a performance at Carnegie Hall of the Goosens/Beecham version with the massive orchestration... two harps as the "continuo" and all!!!! It was fun and especislly since they had not only a chorus on stage, but one on either side of the upper balconies as well. Overblown and over the top! Somehow it worked, but not something that I would return to often. I believe that they are presenting it again this season.

Nowadays I really only enjoy historically informed Messiah performances and preferably on original instruments. Of course last year I attended a performance at Carnegie Hall of the Goosens/Beecham version with the massive orchestration... two harps as the "continuo" and all!!!! It was fun and especislly since they had not only a chorus on stage, but one on either side of the upper balconies as well. Overblown and over the top! Somehow it worked, but not something that I would return to often. I believe that they are presenting it again this season.

Truth be told, at the Davis concert, the orchestra was pruned down, as was the chorus (only half of us sang it). At one rehearsal, the Choral Director said, "Chorus, I can understand why you're getting the performance practices down so quickly ... I chose you for that ... but can you tell me why you're LOUDER than the full chorus?"

P.S. Boulez's from ca. 1976 remains my favorite.

In days gone by, piano rolls were cut by hand. There exists one of Rite of Spring that has tempos about 20% faster than usually performed. Some group in Cambridge (MA) recorded it at that speed. It's worth hearing and, if it's the tempo that Ballets Russes premiered it with, I can see why the audience was disapproving and/or riotous.

In days gone by, piano rolls were cut by hand. There exists one of Rite of Spring that has tempos about 20% faster than usually performed. Some group in Cambridge (MA) recorded it at that speed. It's worth hearing and, if it's the tempo that Ballets Russes premiered it with, I can see why the audience was disapproving and/or riotous.

Interesting phenomenon that the composer's own notion of tempo for his piece may not turn out, conductors and players hearing it alive in rehearsal, to be right. (Needless to say, entirely different from willfully Mannerist impositions of inappropriate tempi.)

Far-afield example is The Beatles, whose producer the sublime George Martin would sometimes suggest a radically different tempo to raise the song from jingle to art.

• 2 weeks later...
What Chapuis gives us here (a repost but sublimely worthy):

Just remembered something Chapuis said about why he had the organist loft be microphoned in these videos, at all -- and at the same volume level as the mikes that recorded the organ pipes speaking:

He wanted to demonstrate how important was the organ's physical (finger and auditory) feedback from the keydesk to the performer, far in advance of the returning sound wave from the pipes (often ambiguous in any event), in guiding the performer's microsecond physical reaction to know how to perform the next keystroke.

Archived