the Tonys Who Will Win, Who Should Win

edjames
This topic is 2943 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

NYTimes weighs in on its picks for the awards...

The Tony Awards: Who Will Win (and Who Should)

By BEN BRANTLEY and CHARLES ISHERWOOD MAY 11, 2016

I was able to get to NY in March with another Forum Member to see Disaster.

Jennifer Simard played a Nun with a gambling addiction. I have not laughed so hard like I did that night.

She has been nominated. Social media is blowing up to have her perform on the Tony's even though the show closed this weekend.

I worked with Jennifer Simard some years back (ironically, she was playing a nun then, too), and I'm thrilled for her nomination. I somehow suspect she won't win (though I'm happy to see that Isherwood thinks she should win), but really excited that she was nominated.

I remember watching the crazy bloodbath that was the 2001 Tonys telecast, where Nathan Lane and Matthew Broderick sat there figuratively masturbating as their show took every damn award. It was a question of whether the votes were going to The Producers the musical, or The Producers the hype, and the latter won. (Did it really seriously deserve every award it got, or were other shows deserving of at least some of the pie? I happen to think that The Full Monty was very deserving of even just a little attention, and I will say IMO that I enjoy listening to that score much more than I do The Producers, even though the latter does have a lot of fun numbers.)

I say this because as much as I am rooting for Hamilton, I really hope that the votes also acknowledge that other shows did deserving work this year. (For instance, should best scenic design really go to the rather stark but yes, effective rendering for Hamilton, or perhaps go to the much more intricate, beautiful, effective design for She Loves Me?) Is the point going to be for the Hamilton hype to cause a (gasp) record-breaking number of Tony wins, or are we going to actually celebrate the SEASON this time (with the acknowledgement that Hamilton played a big, but not exclusive, part of the season)?

Archived