A CURE?? Hopeful research for HIV

jackjackjack
This topic is 2961 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

“This is a technology which enables you to change the genes. Effectively you can engineer the body to cure itself from the inside.”. Wow...the implications and applications are astonishing, beyond HIV I would think.

Definitely. Saw a presentation on this recently. Astounding.

How does onesign up for human trials?

Hugs,

Greg

One knows someone. Or one keeps an eye out.

A friend had developed an HIV-1 vaccine. Unfortunately, the virus mutated significantly, and it didn't work afterwards. Besides, HIV-1 is what was the major AIDS killer in the early '80's.

I am not a virologist, but my understanding is that, like the common cold, HIV can mutate entirely too easily. The cold virus has many copies (20-30) of its genetic material, which can re-combine easily to create yet a different strain. HIV mutations may prevent a reasonable vaccine.

As much as I support PreP this is what we need to be working on. This sounds almost too good to be true. Not only can it clear out the Hiv with just small amount of engineered cells but prevents reinfection. 3 year human trials timeline is amazing too. I'd love to see that happen.

Does the FDA have to approve anything in order for it to be available to the mass population once the testing is finished? For some reason I thought the equivalent British agency takes a shorter time period. So, while really, really good news it may take a while. I'm definitely going to keep taking my Prep.

Thanks for correcting my mistake, Greg.

For reasons beyond my limited comprehension of internetology, the route I took to the article evaded the pay-wall but. even though I copied and pasted the addy, it directs you to a "give me your money" page.

http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/bb/bbba1be6a7a7d6af4d133964f7dcff6b5d7ef2a71e108bf8b6e26d41e2c20f89.jpg

Usually I back check to make sure a link is working but this time I didn't. My bad.

Archived