People with HIV in Asia ejected from hospitals, women sterilized

marylander1940
This topic is 3055 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

BANGKOK - Some health workers in Asia are refusing to perform surgery and provide services for people living with HIV, and are even expelling patients from hospitals and forcing women to undergo sterilization, according to grassroots organizations.

In China and Vietnam, discrimination took the form of changing the recommended option for treatment from surgery to topical or oral medication, said the four-country study supported by Asia Catalyst, which provides management training for community-based health organizations.

In Myanmar and Cambodia, patients with HIV were relegated to segregated waiting areas and bed spaces. One HIV-positive woman in Myanmar said doctors told staff not to give her a hospital bed, so she slept for two nights in the barracks for security guards.

"You see the fear and misinformation that's in the medical setting," said Gareth Durrant, Asia Catalyst's Bangkok-based director of capacity building and community initiatives.

http://www.lfpress.com/2016/03/15/people-with-hiv-in-asia-ejected-from-hospitals-women-sterilized

Although some current events might make us doubt it, the U S really is a fairly enlightened country on many issues. I sometimes forget that policies like this pass for leadership around the world. I don't mean "problem solved" here, but at least it is being addressed.

I think this helps people. I'd like to know who the ignorant shitheads are. Chances are that they'd screw you up anyways. Seriously, I'd love to know where these assholes were educated at.

This is also the end result of religious freedom laws here at home.

Archived