Ft Lauderdale Recommendations

samwhygy
This topic is 7188 days old and is no longer open for new replies.  Replies are automatically disabled after two years of inactivity.  Please create a new topic instead of posting here.  

Going to be in Ft Lauderdale labor day weekend. While I've been there before, can some fellow posters make some recommendations for bars ,bathouses,or bookstores. I have a definite taste for muscle, but I myself am a middle aged guy with an average build.I'm already aware of Dudes, the Boardwalk, and the bathouses on Broward and Oakland Park. Been to Johnnys, but to twinky for me.If I may quote Jeff Stryker from one of his movies "I need to relieve some pressure"

Guest Tristan

Check out the Shoppes of Wilton Manors, a small city bordering Lauderdale. It's basically a gay shopping center. The Alibi video and sports bar is the center of things - no smoking indoors, smoking on the patio. There's another bar, three gay clothing stores, a few restaurants, and an upscale gay coffee house with lounge furniture. The shopping center is on Wilton Drive, right in the center of town. In case you don't know, Wilton Manors is the gay capital of the Fort Lauderdale area.

The main gay beach is at Sebastian Street and A1A, right near many of the gay guest houses.

There is no bookstore equivalent to what you would find in a large metro area in many cities. That disappointed me a lot when I moved here from Boston. You could check out the Pride Factory, which is a little bit of everything - adult stuff, pride stuff, an Internet cafe, video rentals, some mags and books. There's also Catalogue X, a gay adult store. Borders has gay, str8 and tourist clientele, but the location is unusual. The cafe looks out at a canal with some boats. The store is right before the Galleria Mall.

Check out the two main mags:

Hotspots and 411Magazine. The 411 Magazine comes out on Wednesdays, Hotspots on Fridays. The URLs are:

http://www.hotspotsmagazine.com

http://www.the411mag.com

I'm not into the bar/club scene, so I'll leave that info to someone else.

Hope you enjoy your stay.

- Tristan

Guest Tristan

You're very welcome. Given the approaching hurricane, you should seriously consider changing your plans to another date, even if there is a penalty. Perhaps, there won't be any penalty fee in view of the serious nature of the impending storm. It is still unclear where the direct hit will be, but I just heard on the news that currently the hurricane will seriously affect areas 80 miles out from the center. If it hits Palm Beach or north, things shouldn't be too bad here. But you would still be sitting in your hotel the whole time. Lauderdale is about 50 miles south of Palm Beach.

>Going to be in Ft Lauderdale labor day weekend. While I've

>been there before, can some fellow posters make some

>recommendations for bars ,bathhouses,or bookstores.

Spending the weekend in Baghdad might be safer. Hurricane Frances could very well turn the whole city into a bathhouse. When the flood recedes, the open-air atmosphere at the bars and bookstores might be unusual.

>I have a definite taste for muscle

Expect a lot of hunky emergency workers

> "I need to relieve some pressure"

The barometric pressure in the eye of Frances will be as low as you will ever experience.

Guest Tristan

Well on a positive note, if the hurricane hits here, it will at least slow down the insane overdevelopment of the coastal area and maybe even lower the housing prices. May even clobber all the outrageously overpriced condos currently being built. Nature often has a way of setting things right in the long run.

Guest msclonly

FLL Humor!

:+ In the face of coming diaster!

The Hurricane will take some of the 'pressure' off of the

terrorist threats peaking Sept 9-14, a very dangerous time.;(

RE: FLL Humor!

I decided to postpone my trip because of the hurricane till early november. I was able to change my ticket without any penalty,although I had to drive up to the airport because It was impossible to get thru to delta on the phone. I know I made the right decision. My thought and prayers are with everyone in Francis's path. Lets hope that the forecasters are wrong. My bathouse card expires ,however in October, anyone know if there granting any extensions due to the storm? If there are any big muscle boys that are afraid of the storm send them up here to Pa. ..I'll take real good care of them.

RE: FLL Humor!

I decided to postpone my trip because of the hurricane till early november. I was able to change my ticket without any penalty,although I had to drive up to the airport because It was impossible to get thru to delta on the phone. I know I made the right decision. My thought and prayers are with everyone in Francis's path. Lets hope that the forecasters are wrong. My bathouse card expires ,however in October, anyone know if there granting any extensions due to the storm? If there are any big muscle boys that are afraid of the storm send them up here to Pa. ..I'll take real good care of them.

RE: Ignoto Says Lauderdale Destroyed!!

>Spending the weekend in Baghdad might be safer. Hurricane

>Frances could very well turn the whole city into a bathhouse.

>When the flood recedes, the open-air atmosphere at the bars

>and bookstores might be unusual.

So why don't you go ahead and tell us all about the destruction of Lauderdale by Hurricane Frances? We know that a number of towns in North Carolina, Ohio and even parts of New York City were flooded by the remnants of Frances -- today's Times has a great shot of subways put out of commission by this flooding -- but I didn't see any stories about the flooding of "the whole city" of Lauderdale. Well?

>The barometric pressure in the eye of Frances will be as low

>as you will ever experience.

In light of the difference between your predictions and what actually transpired, is there any reason why anyone should ever listen to anything you say?

Glad to see you have your power back and your Internet access working, less than a week later.

And you're not one of the 3,000 people still in Florida shelters!

Now just watch out for those girlie men fleeing the Keys.

>Glad to see you have your power back and your Internet access

>working, less than a week later.

"Back"? I never lost either. Why would I have? I don't live in Ohio.

>And you're not one of the 3,000 people still in Florida

>shelters!

True, I am not. Nor am I one of the thousands of people in other states whose homes and businesses were flooded by Frances. What I really don't understand is why you keep pretending that having your home destroyed by a direct hit from a hurricane is somehow worse than having it destroyed by the kinds of floods that have plagued other states far more often than Florida during the hurricane season. Why is that?

>Now just watch out for those girlie men fleeing the Keys.

Speaking of "girlie men," why didn't you answer my question? You predicted that Lauderdale would be flooded until "the whole city" became a bathhouse, didn't you? So is that what happened? Well? Cat got your tongue?

Such an idiotic post. I suppose you think it was foolish that several thousand people in Fort Lauderdale evacuated? You should offer your services to the National Hurricane Center. Your ability to predict where the storm went after it's over rather than where it might be heading is uncanny. I'll bet a lot of those evacuees stayed in hotels and even brought along food, though they probably ate in their cars for fear of upsetting the hotel staff. You know how that is....:+

>How did the ft. laud. area fare during the storm? What if any

>was the extent of the damage?

Fort Lauderdale, Broward's largest city, predicted it will spend about $2.8 million cleaning up Frances' wake. That includes hundreds of thousands of dollars for police overtime, refurbishing the city's eroded beach, replacing damaged lights and repainting the beach wall along State Road A1A.

''I'd say we were pretty conservative in that estimate,'' said Don Druitt, the city's emergency management coordinator. The county's actual costs will likely be higher when agencies such as the Broward Sheriff's Office and the school district report their storm-related expenses, Henry said.

4,700 households in Broward County are still without power, as of Friday. That's down from 25,000 yesterday.

Within three weeks, Fort Lauderdale-based Rooftech expects to roughly double its work force from 65 people today to as many as 120 employees to meet hurricane-related demand. Rooftech has already recruited 20 workers from Texas and Tennessee combined, and plans to bring another 40 to 60 from those states, said Billy Cone, the firm's president.

Repair work related to Hurricanes Charley and Frances should keep Rooftech busy for up to 18 months, Cone said. Since Charley touched ground, Rooftech's employees have been "running around" nonstop, he said.

WE'RE ALL PAYING FOR IT: The losses from Frances reduce the chance of insurance price cuts this year for homeowners across the country and may halt a 5 percent to 7 percent decline in reinsurance prices for U.S. property, said Bill Pieroni, head of International Business Machines Corp.'s insurance consultancy practice. Many property insurance prices fell this year after profits swelled from three years of rate increases, sparking competition.

>Such an idiotic post.

Do you think so? In that case I'm sorry you had to tear yourself away from watching reruns of "Mayberry RFD" on the TVland channel to read it.

>I suppose you think it was foolish that

>several thousand people in Fort Lauderdale evacuated?

Your supposition in this case is every bit as wildly off base as your posts usually are. I think the evacuation of large numbers of people in certain areas which, as we now know, were never in any great danger from Frances is simply another illustration of the poor quality of NHS predictions. The evacuation was a prudent measure, but only because NHS was incapable of being precise about the storm's course even twenty-four hours prior to landfall.

>You

>should offer your services to the National Hurricane Center.

>Your ability to predict where the storm went after it's over

>rather than where it might be heading is uncanny. I'll bet a

>lot of those evacuees stayed in hotels and even brought along

>food, though they probably ate in their cars for fear of

>upsetting the hotel staff. You know how that is....

I claim no ability to predict anything EXCEPT that NHS predictions usually turn out to be pretty inaccurate, as indeed they did in this case -- although nowhere near as absurdly inaccurate as Ignoto's prediction that Lauderdale would be inundated. :)

For example, because NHS predicted that Frances might hit Florida as early as last Friday, businesses throughout South Florida shut down on Thursday afternoon. But nothing much happened on Friday. So hundreds of thousands of businesses throughout that part of the state lost a day of sales that they might otherwise have had. Even assuming that sales for such businesses in Broward would have been no more than fifty percent of normal due to anxiety over Frances, the amount of money lost to the county's economy as a result of the inaccurate prediction would unquestionably dwarf the figures quoted by dear old Ignoto. Put that in your bong and smoke it.

Archived